Best Sub for HT and Music - Revisit topic from 1yr ago...

Detroit Kid

Attention sub freaks...

Please provide input on the best sub performance for both HT and music. We visited this topic exactly a year ago. Since then, new products have been released and you've had time to listen more.

I'm interested in getting a sub for under $800. My first two options right now are the HSU VTF-2 or the SVS 20-39 PCi. I haven't heard either.

THANKS!!!

Prodj101,

"but they aren't as accurate" Well you know linearity has to count for something,SVS are very linear down to 20Hz and below.Accurate they are

The best compromise I would see for HT and music is two SVS Ultras,very good music performers(just cut them low)and awesome movie subs(shake the foundation).

My fave is the Revel B15,both shake factor and a kick the RSW15 would be proud of.Its not too economical at almost 3 grand,but then again quality and performance does not come cheap.

My pick would be 4 Dayton 15" IB drivers in a infinite baffel (symetrical square manifold arrangement of the drivers). Power with either two PE 300-794 amps, or a single inexpensive good quality proamp. I doubt there is a commercial sub out there that could match the output and sound quality of this type of setup (at least not until you get to subs that cost as much as the cars most people drive; even then it would be close). $440 for the drivers, less than $300 for the amp, a few bucks to build the manifold and then add a parametric EQ (extra cost of the other subs too).

Not an option for most people (lack of ability or unwillingness to cut a whole in a roof/floor/wall), but for those who can do it, should be a no brainer. This link can tell you everything you need to know about infinite baffel subs.

http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475

There are other drivers that would work as well, but the Dayton 15" IB is the best price/performance ratio right now. The Adire Tempest run in a resistively damped operation mode would be very similar and allow you to vary the Q just by swapping out resistors. Or you could even install a variable resistor and lower the Q for music and increase it for home theater use.

Dustin,

Dont you have less destructive ideas in mind?You always come up with DIY.DIY is fine,but remember most will not go this route and to make matter worse you want them to cut holes in floors or roofs! LOL Let stay on planet earth will you.

"Not an option for most people (lack of ability or unwillingness to cut a whole in a roof/floor/wall),"

This type of project is for those who own a house and want a dedicated HT room and are ready for some serious bracing and mods.You dont want unwanted moving parts in walls to start buzzing,or do you.

Wait I have a better idea a home made horn loaded sub with the horn built in the room!Practical,very.LOL

Can't do the horn for under $800 though 3.gif

Now the basement one I can understand (holes in the floor can be bad), but if you have a closet or an attic that is appropriate it can be a great option. Symetrically mounting the drivers in pairs cancels any mechanical forces on the enclosure and it's connection to the roof (so no new rattles over a standard sub).

But for appartment dwellers, yes not an option. If you have a very understanding landlord could be in a duplex or something similar (done well the hole could just look like a vent of some sort). And if you own a house your option. It will be last on my list, projector, HTPC and full set of Adire HE series speakers kits will come first. But if things go well where I'm at, I hope to have one in a year or two. And when I move, one of the criteria for my new place will be the ability to build an IB sub.

I like dustins ideas. always is a good alternative to spending boatloads of money to get the same performance. Also ears, you say that SVS are the perfect compromise between music and movies. I say that RSW line is better for music, not for both. You also say that the Revel has the musical accuracy of the RSW-15, but just goes lower and louder, which also suggests that the RSW is better for music.

Getting back to the arena our poster is in budget-wise...can you stretch a bit to the 20-39PC+? OrangePeel on this board just got one and has found a new love in his life. Otherwise, you'll like the 20-39PCi very much also. I have the PCi, and OP has heard it so he could give you a comparison to the PC+.

Haven't heard the HSU.

DD

Doug,

You got that right,lets remain on planet Earth. The SVS CS-Plus or PC-Plus are probably the very best compromise for $800.

Dustin,

IB hit me a few years ago,but I doubt the people living below me would like to share sub sonic nirvana with me. LOL

ProDJ,

Yes the RSW is what one would call more "musical" then the SVS subs,it reaches high and hits hard.Its the midrange of subs. 2.gif

See SVS and Sunfire subs dont like tobe fed upper bass(well lets call this above 80Hz),but they love sub sonic material.This is why many say they are less musical(is it really true? not really).

Like Doug said I have the 20-39 PC+ and man this sub is a monster! It digs deep, real deep, hits hard when it needs to and is REAL transparent, all the features one wants in a sub. It blends so beatifully with my Klipsch I can hardly tell its there. You'll feel things that you can't hear and never knew were in the movie. It sounds wonderful with music, I don't understand why people don't think they are good music subs. The difference between the PCi and the PC+ is noticable, but both rock! The PC+ has a better driver, better amp (same brand, just more power and options). ALL SVS subs are VERY powerful, they are built wonderfully and have a 3 year warranty. Also has a 45 day MONEY BACK gaurantee so you can't lose with it. You can buy it, try it, and if it doesn't live up to you what you want, which I would bet it would, just return it for a full refund, what else can you ask for? PLUS the customer service from SVS is UNMATCHED! I have NEVER had better customer service in my life, they stand by their product and take care of their customers way after you have paid and received the product.

I will be adding another SVS sub to my HT some day, and I can't imagine what it's gonna sound like, probably make me cry to tell you the truth, the one sounds amazing as it is, I just LOVE bass and need more 9.gif My SVS is definitely my favorite home theatre peice I have.

You can get 2 SVS for the price of 1 RSW-15, so I would go that route for sure.

If you get the PCi you WON'T be sorry, I promise, and so does EVERY other SVS owner, to tell you the truth, I don't think I have read or met ONE person that wasn't satisfied with their SVS.

I like what I'm hearing about both the SVS and HSU. The HSU looks a little friendlier for the WAF. I made a cardboard cutout of the PCi and she freaked a bit. I think that's the SVS's only downfall - the thing looks like a mini water heater. Don't think I'll have room for it AND get my wife to accept the aesthetics of the SVS. I can tuck the HSU behind our big chair in the corner and you won't even see it. The SVS would lurk over (and possibly attack) unsuspecting guests. Something I'm all for. But, a bachelor I'm not.

Detroit Kid,

Dont worry the SVS will not attack guests,just anyone who does not like true sub bass. 3.gif

Water heaters are A ok with me as long as they provide me with pipe organ deep bass,I found space for four SVS in my smaller room! Imagine a wall of subs! LOL