Who Makes the Best Zerostat?

Chris Robinson

As part of the Newbie Vinyl Checklist (NVC), I needed to add a zerostat gun to my shopping list. I scored a (NIB) Milty-type red gun with a big trigger for about $20. I haven't yet tried it because I have a Nagaoka No. 103 which is purported to be much more powerful, etc.

I'd like to get rid of one but am not sure which one should go ...

I guess my question is ... Is this all smoke-and-mirrors and marketing spin, or is there really a difference in the performance of these units? And does it really make a difference?

Thanks for chiming in ...

Chris,

Some say the Nagaoka is better made and will last longer, but I can't swear by either. The Nagaoka cost more. I still use the carbon fiber anti-static brush and perform manual record scrubbing with a VPI 16.5 machine brush. In my case VPI stands for Very Primitive Individual(me).

Klipsch out.

We had the Zerostat by Discwasher at the radio station; needless to say, it was just the kind of thing that 21 yr old college students like to pick up and crank on endlessly while hanging out at the station. In other words, it lasted about 13 months before giving up the ghost. That is not to say that it's a bad unit...it probably would be fine via normal use. What are my findings? I never ever had to use one although I imagine it's good to have. You will find that after cleaning your records with the VPI 16.5 and only using that HuntDECCA brush, you wont use it that much. It will be worse if you opt to keep the felt mat. But I would hope the less expensive unit works fine. I guess I have been lucky doing without one all these years.

kh

Kelly

who sells the HuntDECCA brush ? Also who has those Donut deals you've been raving about ?

I ordered a DB Protractor , Shure Stylus gage and a Cardas sweep record along with a boatload of Kiwame resistors and enough Auricaps for Chris's HF-81. Which will give me a chance to compare the sound to my HF-81 with Russian whatever they are caps LOL !!

Craig

I used the red gun back in college, too. Since I used the Discwasher to clean records, I created static on the lp from the brush. The gun helped keep the lp from being a dust magnet.

The gun died somewhere along the way. It was probably due to use as a toy gun rather than proper lp usage....just as Kelly stated.

Speaking of damage...I heard a pair of $15,000 KEF speakers...the ones that look like B&W...at Ultimate and noticed that someone had punched the cones in on the speaker...what is it that motivates people to do this? I see it everywhere.

Can you even fix it?

Chris,

Off-topic but...

Curious as to your opinion upon listening to my Scott? How does it compare to your Eico?

I didn't realize how sweet it sounds till I listened to an older Integrated Sony I've been borrowing from a co-worker while my Yamaha is down.Like night and day.

Kelly,

Wondering if you had a chance to hear those Kimber Kwik- 12 you had mentioned in another thread as they sounds right up my alley-good & cheap5.gif

Jeff

I have a Milty Zerostat that has to be at least 10 years old. It works great--I can easily tell the difference between the "snap crackle pop" of static and that of wear--3 or 4 zaps with the Zerostat and the noise is gone. We have these 5% humidity "Santa Ana" wind conditions here from time to time and the static electricity on those days is MURDER.

I do use an AQ brush before spinning every side--I suppose this has some anti-static effect too, but nothing like the Zerostat. I find that I need both even with extensive Disc Doctor/Nitty Gritty cleaning, rice paper sleeves and a maniacal stylus-cleaning routine.

Sell the one that will give you the most profit. I think used Miltys sell for $30 or so on ebay.

Allan and everybody, thanks for the G2. I was thinking about doing a balloon test ... you know, blow up the balloon, rub it on your sweater, stick it to the wall. Zap it with one gun, see effect, repeat with other, blah, blah, blah. Winter is coming early up here (right Jeff?) so I'll find out sooner than later, I'm afraid.

Jeff, sorry to be a total deadbeat on getting back to you about your Scott. My daughter's had a tough bout with pneumonia -- plus moving the office to a new location -- plus new fiscal year forecasts ....

But, the good news is that I've hardly had the amp off ... It's been playing non-stop (with a 5-hour break for sleep) and it's been great fun. It does have a different sound, for sure, from the Eico ... I think it's very good for the sound level at which I usually listen to music (around 75 db); sound is smooth and uncompressed ... very musical. I struggle with it at higher volumes (your Megadeath range) but it may be my ears struggling more than the amp. I think it's just plain "Old Person's Disease" ... lots of distortion in these old ears.

Did I hear the WX right? 3-4" of white stuff tonight? I was thinking about swinging by tomorrow to drop it off, but if it's messy, I'll probably wait until Saturday (if that's okay). Craig will probably be shipping my -81 back early next week. TT should be coming, along with my donut ... Kind of like the Bermuda Triange, it's all coming together.

PS: Jeff, cute shot of Stef in front of that "refrigerator" !

Craig, that protractor you have, based on the pictures I saw, was not that bad for free. You might find it all you need. The DB systems does have two sides to the gauge and the more detailed side is very helpful for the last little bit of adjustment.

As for the

HUNT/DECCA brush, it is for sale at a number of places, probably where you got your other stuff. I know Audio Adviser used to carry it.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MHHUNTBR&product_name=Record%20Cleaning%20Brush

I also have the AQ brush as well. Both are good.

As for The Donut Mat: http://www.extremephono.com/Mat.htm

kh

Chris,

Yes,it appears Winter is upon us.Don't know if its gonna be snow or rain though-either way a miserable day to have off.Oh well better than raking leaves (again)9.gif Wednesday or Saturday is fine for me.Just let me know.

Sounds like your Eico wins out in the sound department I gather from your post.What was the big differences in the two?

Craig did the bass mod for me based on my listening habits so it has a real warm low end thats for sure.

What I'll have to do is find a amp that has the musical ablility of tubes with the slam force of SS that I'm accustom to.

I'll have to pry my brothers Nakamichi PA-7 from his hands to give it a try soon to compare with all that I've been testing lately.

Jeff

Jeff, well if the stars had aligned properly, I'd have a pair of Wright monoblocks (2A3) for us to listen to ... but it didn't happen.

I'm not going to judge that the Eico sounds better ... it's just most suited to my listening habits and tastes. The Scott is a VERY NICE AMP. Craig did a wonderful job tweaking it as well, I'm sure. I'm very much looking forward to hearing what he's done for it.

Judging on what's pelting out of the sky currently, I'll postpone my ride over to you until Saturday.

BTW, I noticed that electronics repair shop near South St/Rt 2 ... One of my Anthems is down (keeps blowing the 3A/Slow Blow fuse when I power it up) ... You ever worked with that guy?

Anybody have an idea why I'm going through fuses?

I think I'm going to sell both Anthems and put the money back into something for my 2-channel system.

Chris,

I have had a couple items repaired by the very same place (Electronic Equiptment Repair is the name).As a matter of fact he's doing the work on my Yamaha Amp at this very moment so I'll let you know how that goes.

Only thing is -is that he's VERY busy and it might take some time for the repair.You should see the inside of this place...looks like a burial ground for electronics!

Jeff