Clogged dryer vent

mr clean

I'm with you. My neighbor next door wanted to borrow my 16' extension ladder approx 3 months ago. No problem, he needed to get on the roof and reattach the drier vent cover and flapper. Most all of our houses (small subdivision)  were built by a common developer and the dryer vents thru the shingle roof. Anyways after  
He got the flapper back in and epoxied the cover back on. I observed  the op from below.

The previously mentioned "low exhaust flow alarm" on a clothes dryer sounds like a wonderful idea. I'm guessing most modern machines would shutdown on a high internal temp before a serious risk of fire occurred. Least I hope so.
Correct, there's a thermistor that's supposed to trigger the shut down... unfortunately, with age the deteriorate and need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, mr clean said:

I have about a 15 ft run all but what comes thru the floor hard piped.

About 20 years ago we landscaped a new house, it burned down a couple months later. The contractor called us with questions about the dryer pipe exit and if we had seen it. We told him no had no idea where it was, come to find out when the house was almost done whoever did the initial grade covered it up and we never did see where it was. It was coming out the side of the slab where the land had a pretty good slope, it was well over a foot under the grade. The cause of the fire was the drier pipe was completely stopped up and I guess the lint caught fire, just glad it was not my fault. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

The problem with using a leaf blower is most of the lint is stuck to the pipe because of the humidity pushed through from the wet clothes. I have a 12' long 4" PVC pipe for the dryer vent, I run a long thin piece of wood thought it from the outside while the drier is running, it really has to break it free from the pipe before it blows out, air alone would only remove some of it the biggest part will still be stuck in the pipe.  

That link or something similar would work great.

• Like 2