Heresy II placement advice, and misc...

mutant

I am wondering about the ability to use the Heresy II in a small room (8X10 feet),in-corner placement with toe-in of course. Is this advisable? Also,does the bass seem as tight and fast on this speaker as it might on one with a smaller bass driver? Does this speaker have neoprene surrounds on the big driver,or are they foam? I have liked the RB-5 sound in many ways,but found the sound to be more "directional" than some all-cone-driven speakers that seemed to excell at "disappearing". Is this a charecteristic of horn-loaded speakers that one eventually gets used to? How does the Heresy II differ in sound character when compared to the newer design lines of Klipsch? 6.gif

The HII should have the same sort of woofer the Heresy has, a paper cone with accordian pleat treated fabric. It will not noticably deteriorate in 30 years. While you'll have to try them, on the floor, in a corner should work well for an HII.

And, IMO, the Heresy will have a more "aggressive" live sound than current offerings. Alot of that has to do with the 3-way design, plus the horn on the midrange and not just the tweeter. Those of us that like live sounds (and Klipsch), like that design. Others deride it as being "inaccurate." The debate rages endlessly and pointlessly. I think you'll find it to be a fine performer. However, low bass is not its forte, so you may need to augment with a sub if you need to go bottom-feeding.

When I close my eyes and listen to Diana Krall on my Klipsch Chorus speakers (also a 3-way, horn mid and treble design), the speakers and the room disappear and I get the feeling I am watching her perform live, in a much larger venue than my 10x11 listening room. It gives me goosebumps.

DD

The H-II's do not "disappear" (they let you know exactly where they are), are somewhat weak in the bass department, and very sensitive to placement. Sooo...if those are not the characteristics that you are looking for, I suggest that you trade them for a pair of Infinity Kappa 7.1's. BTW, I have a pair of Kappas, and willing to trade for H-II's.

----------------

On 11/6/2002 5:35:54 PM Placido wrote:

The H-II's do not "disappear" (they let you know exactly where they are), are somewhat weak in the bass department, and very sensitive to placement. Sooo...if those are not the characteristics that you are looking for, I suggest that you trade them for a pair of Infinity Kappa 7.1's. BTW, I have a pair of Kappas, and willing to trade for H-II's.

----------------

Why a speaker with a 12" woofer should be "weak in the bass" is beyond me,but it seems I have heard this before. What do you think is the reason for this? Also,could you elaborate on the hows and the why this speaker is placement sensitive if they are any more so than other horns? Obviously you like the Heresy II's. I'll try to keep you in mind if indeed I do buy them and do not like. Thanks.

I understand that the type of enclosure (sealed), as well as it's physical dimensions, do not allow for usable bass below 50HZ. I've owned a pair of H-II's for over 16 years and relish them to the point that I will like to get a second set (to use as HT rears). They are not really that much more placement-sensitive than other speakers. If you are in the market for an addictive speaker, I strongly recommend the Heresy.

10.gif As a trial, I hooked up my Heresy's to my computer (using a small receiver)in the study (read, small room), and was disappointed. They seemed to lose something; seemed muffled. They were not corner-placed, so that may be part of the problem.

It seemed you were too much "up on them."