Sixes preamp suggestion?

Jackson929

Ok just tried out the Orbit with built-in preamp on directly into Sixes. RCA in set to “phono” sounded the same as previously experienced. To compare I set it to “line” and got a mess of distortion. Then I went through the Vali, Orbit preamp bypassed. Sixes set to “line”, there is no sound, set to “phono” similar sound as before. So,...I’m back at square one.

"Modern" LPs are cut with boosted highs and attenuated lows.  When playing them, the signal gets the highs attenuated and the lows boosted, to restore the overall balance.  This function is implied (as well as greater amplification of the signal) when using a phonograph input.  There are (or have been?) three types of phono cartridges, two of which require a "phono" input.

Greatly exaggerated bass could result from applying phono playback EQ when it's not needed.  So first things first means determining whether this is the case.  If so, the highs would be extremely dull along with the boosted bass and you'd find the volume control needing to be set extremely low.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys. I own a set of sixes and run an external preamp (rega mini) into the phono stage but with the switch set to “line” the sound is perfect. Silly idea, but have you grounded the sixes to the turntable or the preamp? If you’ve not got the ground in place your going to have a terrible sound....

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ben1986 said:

Hey guys. I own a set of sixes and run an external preamp (rega mini) into the phono stage but with the switch set to “line” the sound is perfect. Silly idea, but have you grounded the sixes to the turntable or the preamp? If you’ve not got the ground in place your going to have a terrible sound....

Is that just an issue with the Sixes? Or turntables in general? 

Not all turntables have a ground wire. Those that do, in my experience, when I have forgotten to hook up ground wire it has just depended on what setup I had at the time whether it made a difference or not. Some it was horrible, others, no difference.

You are running the Rega Mini because there is no ground screw on the back of the Sixes and you are getting bad sound?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:52 PM, dwilawyer said:

Is that just an issue with the Sixes? Or turntables in general? 

Not all turntables have a ground wire. Those that do, in my experience, when I have forgotten to hook up ground wire it has just depended on what setup I had at the time whether it made a difference or not. Some it was horrible, others, no difference.

You are running the Rega Mini because there is no ground screw on the back of the Sixes and you are getting bad sound?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Yes in various setups grounding is important. The sixes do have an earth screw so I am wondering if the person enquiring has earthed his preamp to the sixes or not. It could be a simple thing like this causing him issues.

• 1 year later...

So I have a Similar setup.  First time using Vinyl.

I have the U-turn Orbit Special with an MM Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge.  I did not get the built-in Preamp because I knew the Sixes had a Phono "setting".

The first record I played was Led Zeppelin I from their collector reissue they did years ago.  (wife got it for my birthday many moons back.)  It sounded transcendent!  I was totally blown away, and A/B ing with my itunes version.  So I got stoked and went and bought a bunch of records from my local Vinyl shop.

The first one I played from there - a 1991 OG Achtung Baby from U2 - was a little dusty with fibers etc.  So I cleaned it as much as I could. 

Now - no matter what I play there's a noticeable distortion, the best way to describe it is when the track has low volume parts its very distorted.  It feels almost like the needle isn't tracking anymore and is just BARELY touching the record - so if something is Loud - the needle reads it fine, but quieter parts are too far away from the needle to fully seat.   BUT I don't know what I'm supposed to do on the Turntable to fix that?

Any Suggestions?

Cheers all!!