Autotransformer Specification - Type A xovers??

Robbie010

1 hour ago, Robbie010 said:

Thank you. I had been on the crites site before but didn’t notice the spec sheet.

Now to try and source them locally! 😑

Why?  Just buy from Bob Crites.  He has everything that you need in one place.   15 years ago the transformers were $60 plus shipping and more difficult to order from a supplier.  They have one went up by a few bucks. 

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Why?  Just buy from Bob Crites.  He has everything that you need in one place.   15 years ago the transformers were $60 plus shipping and more difficult to order from a supplier.  They have one went up by a few bucks. 

I’m in the UK, 2 pairs of transformers from bob would set me back more than £250 ($330) with shipping and import duty. 

The as-built new Type A crossover from bob would be in the region of £320 ($420) with shipping & duty.

I need to find a cheaper (local) alternative to make the crossovers feasible. 

Thanks everyone for your input. Im happy to see there is at least another (cheaper) option to the autotransformers. 

Although I’m capable in practical terms, woodwork, soldering etc, I’m not particularly technical so I’m sure I’ll be back here with more questions on this subject!

🤔

The T2A was made by Universal Transformer Company.  Perhaps someone in the UK sells UTC products.  A 70V distribution transformer with a -3 dB tap will suffice, though it may not have the power capacity of a T2A. 

23 minutes ago, JohnA said:

The T2A was made by Universal Transformer Company.  Perhaps someone in the UK sells UTC products.  A 70V distribution transformer with a -3 dB tap will suffice, though it may not have the power capacity of a T2A. 

Thanks for the heads up.

I have done some internet searches and found a UK based company that makes a T2A transformer, however, they cost £57 ($75) each!! 😵

It definately looks like L-pads or resistors is the only cost effective option, unless there is a forum member that is parting ways with an old set of Type A's or willing to break a set and ship the autotransformers to the UK at a reasonable cost. 😁