Here are a pair for someone with a little ambition!

Allan Songer

These LOOK a lot worse than they are--not too rusty and not mucked with. These are among my favorite vintage amps and I'll be they sell for less than 800 bucks for the pair. I've owned many, many vintage amplifiers and these are the ones I've been listening to non-stop for the last few years. I like them so much I've pretty much decided they're all I'll ever need . . .

http://listings.ebay.com/aw/listings/list/category14973/index.html

This is one of the models I have never heard and I would like to. As you know, I have not been a huge McIntosh fan but this is one of the models I would consider giving a whirl if they werent so damn expensive. Could you possibly do a paragraph sonic comparison with these units against something like the 240 etc or any other models you care to compare. I want to slowly start building up auditions for the vintage gear I havent heard. I dont think I am every going to buy a new amp again and the next SET will be DIY for sure. IF not SET, I am going vintage with at least one great EL-84 integrated, a nice EL-34/KT-66/6L6 amp/mono (dont know which), and a low power SET. That's the goal. I havenet heard a new amplifier that I really love in a LONG, LONG time (besides small company SET).

kh

When people say they don't like Mac tube gear they usually complain about a "grainy" treble and a "flubby" bass that overwealm a GLORIOUS midrange. I don't think this is true of ANY Mac tube amp, but am willing to admit that the MC30, even though it is the LEAST powerful of them all, has the tighest, cleanest bass--as long as you're using really efficient speakers. And ALL of the tube-rectified MAC amps have a much "sweeter" top end than their solid-state rectified brothers. I guess the buzz-word here is that the MC30 is the most "musical" of all the MAC amps. Smooth, warm, rich-- yet still detailed. This is especially true when you go for "Cadillac" NOS tubes (GEC KT-66 outputs, Telefunken or Mullard 12AX7/12AU7 and RCA black-plate (1940's) 12BH7).

I'll put my $0.02 in. Most of the Mac tube amps I've heard sound OK with that veil of darkness. I always assumed it was the Class B operation of the circuitry.

On the other hand, the sweetest sounding Mac, in my humble opinion, was the MC225, using 7591A tetrodes. Very nice...similar to my Fisher 500C receiver.

As I think about it, maybe the pre-amps (usually SS Macs)used in conjuction with the Mac tube amps influenced the resulting sound to what I considered dark.

Oh well, as always, have fun & enjoy,

Pete

Arco, I have heard several of the MAC integrateds including many of the SS models and the MA-230. Although this was QUITE a long time ago I would have to say I found them disappointing, especially the SS models. I personally would opt for other solutions and I just dont think the MAC integrated are that transparent or especially endearing. As I remember, the 230 has a solid state preamp and NO tube rectification. Why bother? They are just not known for their integrated stuff; the 30 monos are a different story although I have never heard them.

You are missing out on getting your HF-81 up to snuff. And I am not talking a wholesale parts swap but just getting it optimized with good tubes and something like Sprague ATOMS in the PS position. Throw the audiophile caution and musings to the wind and listen to some music. My Quebec buddy who has built many SET amps including 45, VT52, 2A3, 300B Cobalt Parafeed (not to mention the WE91a) is completely smitten with his HF-81 he has running. Key word is balance and musically whole.

Jobman, Allan didnt sell those... he was pointing for others to buy.

kh

Allan:

I AM SORRY!!!

My mistake. I misunderstood your first post, and I thought they were yours. I would never imply that you were doing something wrong on this board or anywhere else. I just need to read the posts a little more carefully.

Again, I apologize to you and all the forum members for my unintentional blunder.

Jobman