Old Onkyo for my R610F

Charlie_C

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I am kinda a newbie here. I tried to google the answer but somehow I could not find the exact one. So here I am~~

My current living room setup is like this, R610F for my L & R, 52C for my center and R-41M for the surround, pairing with Yamaha RX485 avr. I am thinking to move these speakers down to my basement where my home theater is (recently finished) and maybe purchase some cheaper ones for the living room since we have a 7 month old boy and we could not turn the volume up too much to enjoy the movie in the living room anyway. I have an old AVR, Onkyo SR313, that is sitting in the basement and I thought maybe I can use it before I upgrade it later on but then I found out that it only provides 65W per channel. You may ask, why don't I just move the Yamaha to the basement and use the Onkyo in the living room. I thought about that but because the Onkyo has some problem with the ARC(I think), which for some reasons always turned on the TV in the middle of the night. I decided not to go that route.

Anyhow, so I guess my question is, would 65 watt per channel be sufficient to power this setup? I know I would upgrade the AVR anyway in the future but it will help me decide whether I should move the speakers now or wait until I upgrade the AVR.

Any suggestions, please advise. Always appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.  You will get other suggestions for certain, but I'll give you mine.  Just hook up the Onkyo now in your current set up and you will have your answer.  If it's acceptable to you until you upgrade, you're done wondering and can move the setup and if not, you may be purchasing your upgrade sooner than planned.  Just my .02 thrown in.

28 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Welcome to the forum.  You will get other suggestions for certain, but I'll give you mine.  Just hook up the Onkyo now in your current set up and you will have your answer.  If it's acceptable to you until you upgrade, you're done wondering and can move the setup and if not, you may be purchasing your upgrade sooner than planned.  Just my .02 thrown in.

Thanks Pete! 

I will do the same! in the meantime, would you have any recommendation on the power of my future receiver should be at? I don't have a large budget so I am currently considering Sony STR-DH790....which can be somewhat future proof in terms of adding atmos and sub etc

• Like 1

That's going to come down to budget, "must have features" and preference based on listening to different things.  How much pure music listening do you do?  IMO, that's probably got to be a big factor with any new purchase.  I'm 90% music and 10% HT, but there are those that are the opposite of that and it needs to be factored into any opinions you receive.  Everyone will tell you what they like, which has zero bearing on what you like.  

2 minutes ago, Pete H said:

That's going to come down to budget, "must have features" and preference based on listening to different things.  How much pure music listening do you do?  IMO, that's probably got to be a big factor with any new purchase.  I'm 90% music and 10% HT, but there are those that are the opposite of that and it needs to be factored into any opinions you receive.  Everyone will tell you what they like, which has zero bearing on what you like.  

True. I am like just the opposite with your scenario, 10% pure music and 90% HT~

Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, Pete H said:

That is some really good advice above. Especially the last sentence.

6 minutes ago, Charlie_C said:

Thanks again!

You are welcome.  I would add that prior to purchasing anything once you have your defined features list and budget, I would check out the used market to see what the same $$ buys you when someone else took the big hit on the front end.  An example is my Marantz processor that I purchased used for $600 in pristine like new condition and the new one was over $3,000.  It took about a year of searching around for the right deal, but that's 1/2 the fun for me.

28 minutes ago, Charlie_C said:

Sony STR-DH790

The Sony is 80W/ch ... not much difference with 65W/ch.  Note that these specs are for TWO channels driven ... if you use more it significantly drops :( 

From personal experience, there is not much gained by going from 65 to 80 or even 100W/ch ... you won't hear a difference until you double the power or more. Power handling on the R610's is 85/340W ... you've got enough :) 

2 hours ago, Emile said:

The Sony is 80W/ch ... not much difference with 65W/ch.  Note that these specs are for TWO channels driven ... if you use more it significantly drops :( 

From personal experience, there is not much gained by going from 65 to 80 or even 100W/ch ... you won't hear a difference until you double the power or more. Power handling on the R610's is 85/340W ... you've got enough :) 

Understood. One more question.

Let's say, my wife is having a good mood and agreed to upgrade the HT system and keep the current R610F and R52C in the living room. Would it be okay I buy the left, center and right channel with RP series and use the existing R41M as my surround in the HT?

• Like 1