RB5-II Bass ??

sire

Hi folks

Upgraded my SB3s to RB5s. Definitely a different sound. Seems clearer and easier to listen too. I do seem to have lost some bass though. Still waiting to upgrade receiver, too many choices, starting to get a headache. The speakers are on some spindly wooden stands and I am sure not in the best placement. Basically the entertainment center is in the corner with the speakers on stands flanking it. No way to move them out any more than 9 inches as they would be in a walkway. Distance between speakers is about 6 feet. Sitting position is 9 feet away from tv with speakers angled towards listener. Looking to buy another house next year with a great room that is at least a rectangle with seating direct across from proposed entertainment center location. Sorry,I guess I am rambling. My question is, since I cannot improve speaker location at the moment, will better stands, or bi-wiring, or ?? help restore the bass? The SB3s definitely rocked harder in the bass area but I do recall them seeming to be getting on my nerves after awhile. Guess that is the definition of speakers sounding harsh.

Old Pioneer SX 950 stereo receiver

Fronts- RB5-IIs

Still waiting to purchase everything else

While your setup isn't optimum, it isn't all that bad either. Having them only 9 inches from the back isn't great, but what is worse is if the front baffles of the speakers don't protrode past the objects surrounding it.

I owned RB5's for about two years, and you should know that it does take a couple of weeks for the drivers to loosen up somewhat. The sound of the bass will fill out some, and the treble will open more as well.

The RB5's are a substantial improvement over what you had -- just relax and enjoy what they do for you now, even if it's in a less than perfect situation.

Receiver wise, and if you can handle the looks of it -- the most bang for the buck is the Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver. It's ugly as sin, but the build and parts quality is a cut above the rest at the same price point.

Always happy to agree with Deang.

1. Speakers do need to be "proud" of the entertainment center.

2. They do need 100-200 hours to break in.(scandalous subject of course)

3. Outlaw is quite good. If another HT Receiver is better at that price point I have not seen it.

4. You are probably inhibiting bass performance if anything is within 15 inches of the port except the stand.

5. Concrete garden decorative pillar painted gloss black with blu tack on top to couple the speaker to the pillar is the cheapest non resonant stand I have seen. Otherwise Atacama Sanus or others with fillable pillars are nice.

Rick

ive read that "toeing in" or angling the speakers toward the listener with the RB-5s is not recommended, as they are bright enough already. But, if it sounds good to you, keep it. Deang and Audio Flynn pretty much covered the rest. Man, sure have been alot of post lately on rb-5s, rf-3s, and rb-5s vs rf-3s on the forum lately. I'm in the same dilema too. Just need $$$$.

Hmm. My experience has always been the complete opposite -- my speakers, no matter what they were -- always sounded better once I got them home. Of course, if you hear them in the store with state of art gear, and then go home and wire them up to your multimedia center...

Sounds like there is not alot I can do except wait until I can afford a new receiver. I tend to hold onto my electronics until they die. The Pioneer receiver is over 20 years old, been in the shop only once, and has done many moves from Air Force base to Air Force base. I am going to have to save up alot of pennies as currently I am leaning towards the B&K line of receivers. Maybe the B&K 307 will drop since the 507 is out. I have not listened to it yet but I do value the opinion of the members of this board, the consenus this manufacturer is a good match to Klipsch and since it seems to be upgradable which goes along with my habit of holding onto electronics forever. Heck, I still have an old direct drive Sansui turntable somewhere in the attic. I take it then biwiring the my RB5-IIs would be a waste of money then? I am currently using monster wire on them already. Thanks to everyone for there valued opinions.

Mike