VELODYNE 8-INCH SPL SUB

PHIL O

This is probably out of the question if you're looking at something as small as the Velodyne but if it's a possibility, you could get something like a SVS 20-39PC Plus. Not sure what a good price is but I saw the Velo. for $899 shipped at onecall.com. The 20-39PC Plus would be cheaper than that shipped and it would outperform that Velo in every way. If you can't go vertical, maybe you could lay it down on the floor, like behind a couch or something. Tom V. said there's no problem with doing this as long as the amps are faced upwards to allow for cooling. Well there's my push for SVS.

If you must go for a micro sub, I think the best value in micro sub world is the Carver Knight Shadow. I'm not sure where to get it new but there one on ebay right now. I've seen new ones go new on ebay with "buy it now" prices around $600. It's cheaper than the Sunfire Junior and has greater output.

Frankie,

The SVS is not a good choice,and far far from compact.Unless you are 12ft tall and weigh 1500lbs the SVS may be billed as micro sub.

Lets get real SVS are large,among the largest home subs.

I do agree the Carver Knight Shadow is tyhe best value right now.I have one,DUH and I did not even mention it! DOH

TheEar,

That's why I said it's probably not a possibility since he's considering something as small as the SPL800. I just think that it's a great deal if size is not an issue(ignore DIY as well). I also didn't say that the SVS is a microsub, you'd have to be pretty crazy to consider even a 25-31 small.

You said the SVS isn't a good choice, is that just because of the size or for another reason. I've heard it in my HT it's quite a potent sub.

Frankie,

All good,dont take anything personal.The 12ft tall and 1500lbs was pure sarcasm

Phil,

If your budget permits,I say dont even look at the SPL800 and 1000...get the 1200.It has slam,gives a great sub bass show in a very compact design.And also please note you can buy two Carver Knight Shadow subs for the price of one SPL1200!And the two Carvers whip the SPL1200! Its really your choice here

Or for the same price you can look at the SUnfire Mark IV,a real micro monster.It WILL shake the house,I have the Mark II and it packs a punch.No bull

Listen and compare above all if you can.Know Sunfire bests Velodyne for HT use and Velod does the same on music.You really cannot go wrong with either Velodyne or Sunfire here.