jolida 202A or Zen SE-84CS for RB-5

atom

finally, i narrow to these two tube gear. both of them within my budget. also read some discussion on audioasylum, but no comparion based on RB-5. wanna seek views from ur real experts on klipsch here.

my listenning room is quite small, around 13*11.

music: jazz vocol, classic,

which one, u believe is better match?

BTW: for the Zen, its manuel says it is better for the 4o load. but the RB-5 is 8o. not sure whether it will work well with RB-5?

I've never owned either amp but have heard the Jolida in action. I think you will find that the Zen will just not have enough power for you to play at decent levels. I believe that a lot of people have better success using 2 zen amps instead, but that's a lot of dough. Why not look into the Bottlehead Paramours with the foreplay pre?

Speed is right.

Read this review: http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/klipsch-rb5.html

You are going to need more current than what the Zen, or most SET amps can give you.

You might also consider the Jolida 102B, which uses the EL84's as output tubes. Less power (25 wpc), but may provide a higher degree of musicality. You save some money as well.

Are you buying new or used?

thank u guys.

speed3: i prefer intergrated tube other than pre+amp. two Zen is beyoned my budget. if i increse it, i will prefer some higher grade in sencond hand.

deang: i already read that review lots of times and ur post on RB-5's curve of impedence before, and get the impression that the SET maynot be good for the RB-5.

all i want is music. read a lot of story of SET, and know the klipsch is much more SET-friendy than other brands. just cann't give up the idea to try them, although i know the match between speaker and amp. is more important.

unfortunetly, i have no chance to listen to the set on my RB-5, hard to make decision to spend money on risk of SET. so back here to seek final comfirmation from ur experts. now, most possibly, i will go for PP.

as regard of jolida 102B and 202A, why did u say the EL84 may be more musical than the EL34? it is general rule or just specific case in jolida?

totally no idea about the performance of dif tubes.

i favor the second hand. but the 102B seems not be available easily on ebay and audiogon.

This strikes me as the BEST advice for you. Sonically. financially. And ulitmately, MUSICALLY.

Get the one of the following:

- EICO HF-81*

- Scott 299a/b

- Scott 222c

- Fisher X-100 (original version with tube rect)

* My personal favorite as I type this

Get one of these integrated amps at a good cost of about 150-250 if possible. Then have one of the forum members (heh....the poor bastard) BRING IT UP TO SPEC for price of parts plus a reasonable fee, which would be much less than a standard tech.

What would you get? Better output transformers than almost ANY MODERN AMP anywhere NEAR your price range. This is one of the KEYS to the sound of a tube amp. Frankly, you cant touch these amps for value and quality, not to mention the faithful reproduction of the essence of the music, something that many modern amps, despite the parts, lose. I just dont think the mid-fi tube amp transformers are as good.

The little Jolida 102B is a neat little amp and you could almost afford one NEW. And the used 202a is a nice EL-34 offering but needs extra tweaking to bring it up to its best. FRankly, those integrateds will offer you BETTER sonics and will be more rewarding. EDIT: I happen to think the little 102B Jolida is a great deal...and can be made to sound even better. Neat little amp. The 202a is a very lush - musical amp for ducats. But not the last in bass extension. Frankly, for the HELL of it, based on your music and small room, you also might just ORDER a DECWARE ZEN to hear on your system to get an idea. With the 30 day policy, you cant lose. I dont know ANYTHING bout the RB-5, however. Small room though is a good thing with those amps.

There are other options in the vintage camp but those are readily available. btw, I have learned some SHOCKING stuff about the EICO HF-81 in the last 48 hours from my Quebec buddy. It is acually NOT a Williamson circuit! This new info goes a long way in uncovering some mysteries. Suffice to say, it actually relates to the famouse Japanese Audio Note designer KONDO! Stay tuned.

kh

Yes, that's why I asked if he was buying used or new. Of course, land something vintage and have Craig work his magic.

I've never heard either the Eico or any of the Scott's, but of the many here who have went in either direction -- I don't think there have been ANY disappointments.

Isn't Tbabb runnning his RB5's off the Eico?

O.K. everyone -- be on the lookout for an Eico or Scott for 'ole Atom.

Craig, don't you got about 60 or 70 of those Scotts laying around your house right now:)

Kelly, that Scott on it's way to you yet?

Holy Kondo Kunnunni Yoda -- don't tell a soul, or those Ebay prices will go through the freaking ceiling!!

For the vintage amps Mobile recommends I have some friends who are great flea market, estate sale, auction and other used "conduits" for deals in Ohio, Northern Michigan and Mexico.

I will wait to see if I can get a sleeper in the next couple of months rather than pay the E Bay prices and potentially getting an abused unit.

The big red disclaimer on Audioweb makes me cautious as well.

Finding the Chorus IIs by accident for $ 800 mint condition was worth the wait.