Klipsch 3 ways

dsimpson

I'm interested in finding a smaller (smaller than LaScalas anyway) three way speaker to use at the office.

What are the practical differences between the Chorus I and II? There are some Chorus I's available on Ebay that are within driving distance from me so that's my reason for even considering them. They're still a pretty large speaker.

Advice or suggestions about Quartets, Heresy I or II or anything else old or new in a Klipsch three way speaker would be appreciated.

My knowledge of speaker systems is limited so I tend to go with what I know. What I currently know is that my LaScalas have been wonderful to listen to and extremely reliable for a long time. Repairs are rare and affordable. Based on my limited knowledge, an efficient three way in a medium sized cabinet would be a good match for some old power sources (3150 - 2150 NAD integrated amp/amp)

Again, suggestions, advice, prejudices, perversions and comments are most welcome.

Justin, I don't really have a hard budget or space restriction. My office could hold LaScalas but I don't want anything quite that large. And, some recent purchases for home audio have freed up other equipment that I still want to play with.

That's a good excuse to buy some other "don't worry dear it didn't cost much" gear for the office so I can quit using the computer speakers and powered sub. In this case "sub" means sub-standard bought by the IT guys when they replaced my old PC.

Anyway, I re-posted this message in General Questions after realizing that it isn't actually a technical question and was lucky enough to get a reply from a guy in England who owns or has owned Heresy I & II as well as Chorus I. I also got some detailed infromation from HDBRbuilder.

It all seems to point toward Heresy. I like three way speakers and I have some old NAD power that I want to use with the speakers.

Thank you and Audio Flyn for your feedback.

I may still wind up with Chorus I's since there's a set on eBay in Raleigh, NC. That's an hour from home and has obvious advantages when it comes to paying, inspecting and shipping.

DES,

Chorus 1 has more of everything than Heresy 1 or 2 because it is bigger. Heresy 2 has "more" bass, but to my mind sounds coloured , especially when compared to Heresy 1.I loved my Heresy 1 but found the 2 very difficult to live with.

Before I bought the Chorus, it was the Forte 1 which I really wanted.But the Chorus came along!

Remember there are hardly any Klipsch speakers over here.I have experience only of La Scala, Heresy 1 and 2 and Chorus 1. Oh yes, I have heard the Cornwall too, but not with enough in depth listening to pass judgement

For "heritage" sound, chorus has more in common with Heresy 1 and La Scala than Heresy 2.

AQs you may have gathered, I am not a huge fan of Heresy 2!

It all comes down to "listen and make up your own mind" as ever, of course.

I understand the Quartets to be very good also, but I have never heard them.

Mind you, it is not all "across the pond they get all the good gear".

My Tube Technology CD 64 Fusion is a fantastic CD player, even at 2000GBP.So revealing on the midband and nothing to compare anywhere near the price.

A real "record player in a box". An analogue sound with the dynamic range that only digital can offer.I have tried and owned many CD players including top end Meridian and Audio Alchemy and the small English manufacturer blows them all out of the water. I evben prefer it to the Mark Levinson, which I find very dry sounding.

Enough ranting for now!

It is difficult subject to give advice upon. The major reason is that while the members of the forum have a veritable menagery (sp?) of Klipsch speakers, we've never gotten them together together in one room to compare them.

Gee, wouldn't that be a wonderful situation. Even then there would be good natured debate.

As you might appreciate, I think the K-Horns with a Belle or LS center are the ultimate if you have the right room and pocket book. CW's seem to hold sway the next step down.

LS are a near contender if you can put up with lack of bass, but need the dymanics.

There are some consistent comments that the Heresy don't make it in the bass department. One comment from the folks at Klipsch was that the Forte (I) was equivalent to Heresy with a sub.

The Forte (I) was the beginning of the family of a set of very fine speakers. It was followed by the Chorus. That being a sucessor to the CW. Delgato, Hunter and Keist worked on the tratrix midrange according to their article in Audio magazine. So the tractrix got into the Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet. It looks to me like the bass was also tweeked to optimum in the Forte II.

As I've said before, I have Forte II in a small room in corners. Very, very impressive. I'd like to buy some more. The Quartets at home are not in a corner and are not well placed. They suffer from this. I've not heard Chorus II. Still, I have a great amount of faith in the series.

Gil