Just got my High Definition VCR...Yes you heard right!

robforst1

Today I picked up a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U HD-VHS VCR. It can record in 1080i from High Definition content.

1080i HD signals blow away progressive scan DVDs. Now I can record and playback High Definition content.

It took me over 3 hours to figure out how to work the thing. Does anyone else have this or another HD VCR?

My wife and I wathced Everyone Loves Raymond in HD tonight...it makes digital cable look like garbage!1.gif

Rob,

VHS-HD, yeh I heard something about that awhile back but haven't checked it out yet. Give us some details on the player.

Now that your picking up HDTV, did you have to install a big ole antenna. I was talking to a dish salesman yeterday and he is trying to tell me my antenna needs to be 20' in the air, multi directional, blah, blah, blah. He was trying to tell me that if I don't it get it up in the air the signals bouncing off buildings will give you ghosts. Well i wouldn't disagree with him on this for regular broadcasts but digital signal is either there and its perfect, or its not there and your watching snow.

What are you using for an antenna?

EJ

Congrats on the HD VCR...you're on the cutting edge! I can certainly understand why you would need this if you are a fan of shows broadcast in HDTV and want to time shift. It would be a big a drag to be watching a low-def copy of a HDTV show when you know how good it could be looking if you were watching it live in HDTV or recording on a HiDef VCR.

Here are my thoughts on recording HDTV (mostly initial perceptions based on very little research)--more the state of my consumer mind:

First, yes I like HDTV picture better than DVD even on my digital TV...at times it's like "looking out a window".

1. I'm not a consumer of broadcasts in HDTV yet (I'm waiting for the day when I'll be watching a show that is broadcast in HDTV so that I can say, "damn! I wish I had the int. tuner or settop HDTV on my Mitsu.". This day will come but it's not here yet for me, because I don't watch prime time TV. The only HDTV show I've seen is Sopranos and I watch it on DVD a year later (in 480i).

2. I was thinking of eventually using a HTPC w/TiVO-like functionality for recording onto disk and then eventually writing to DVD. I've read that this can also be my high quality DVD player and CD player instead of buying a high priced DVD.

3. I think the only reason I would want to record broadcast TV is for time shifting so the TiVO functionality is ideal.

I was able to buy an open box blow-out for $600 at Tweeter (less than 1/2 price from list of $1,500)

The configuration and set-up of the VHS has been tough. My Cox HD Box does not have firewire out, only Component Video.

The HD-VHS only has firewire input for HD recording.

My HDTV has firewire out from the built in decoder.

Therefore, I can only record HD broadcasts from the over the air stations decoded by my internal HD receiver (with firewire out to the VCR).

I am currently looking for a way to go from component video output from the COX box to the firewire input of the VCR.

***Does anyone know of a special cable that will do this (or an intemediary devise that accepts component video input and turns it into firewire output for HD signals)?***