lack of Cornwall 1 bass

VDS

I've read every thread I can find about Cornwalls that aren't producing bass.  I've checked all driver leads inside and speaker leads, all seem correct for polarity(?)  I've moved them around room and i can only get base by boosting the full 12 db through EQ,  even then its not overwhelming.  I've had other speakers in same room, same location without bass problems.  
New Crites Crossovers in approx 2004 (B-3) could something in crossover have gone bad?  75 wpc class A/B Emotiva amp. 

Im only 2 channel stereo, no home theater, not looking for gut thumping, but the bass really seems light, EQ all the way up makes it ok , never overbearing.

• Like 1

You may have but, I would trace the pair from crossover to woofer to make certain correct. If you have not reversed the polarity of one woofer would do so to double-check. You will know quicky if you were correct. What woofer do you have. Should find numbers on the magnet area.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

You may have but, I would trace the pair from crossover to woofer to make certain correct. If you have not reversed the polarity of one woofer would do so to double-check. You will know quicky if you were correct. What woofer do you have. Should find numbers on the magnet area.

I checked, but I could switch and see what happens

50A29783-59B4-4518-B6BB-86D93C3DCBF6.jpeg

489B5ABE-8924-4997-B4E0-27154AA8F810.jpeg

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

And are you using a separate EQ equalizer?

Yes, 4 frequency Schiit Loki, 20hz at 12db gain, 400hz at 2db.  
location does make a big difference, I’m finding that. But haven’t found a location that give me too much bass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VDS said:

Yes, 4 frequency Schiit Loki, 20hz at 12db gain, 400hz at 2db.  
location does make a big difference, I’m finding that. But haven’t found a location that give me too much bass

Alright! See you have the Klipsch woofer and crossover looks correct with no corrosion can see.

Guess the connections are tight?

Can you use another source for sound besides from computer?

30 minutes ago, VDS said:

Newer Emotiva power amp, 75 wpc, schitt Saga preamp.  schiit dac from laptop,  exact set up with Elac speakers that made a lot of base for a 6" bookshelf woofer

ok, im not familiar with that preamp, but many modern AVR/preamps when you set the sub to yes/on it will automatically set the mains to small &/or activate the crossover & cut the bass at whatever freq.  i had an onkyo AVR that does that, with sub on it set the mains to small & x-over at 80hz... took awhile to realize it, thought i blew a woofer or something.  changed settings & all the bass from the mains came back.  just wanted to mention that as a possibility.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

ok, im not familiar with that preamp, but many modern AVR/preamps when you set the sub to yes/on it will automatically set the mains to small &/or activate the crossover & cut the bass at whatever freq.  i had an onkyo AVR that does that, with sub on it set the mains to small & x-over at 80hz... took awhile to realize it, thought i blew a woofer or something.  changed settings & all the bass from the mains came back.  just wanted to mention that as a possibility.  

@VDS ...try what the member proposes here. Time to methodically double check the above. 

Think, what has changed if anything on your Emotiva since removing your Elacs. Hook one Elac back up to the Emotiva to test bass with your setup.

1 minute ago, billybob said:

@VDS ...try what the member proposes here. Time to methodically double check the above. 

Think, what has changed if anything on your Emotiva since removing your Elacs. Hook one Elac back up to the Emotiva to test bass with your setup.

That’s a good idea, when was listening With the back off it seems like a lot of bass is being produced, it seems like the midrange is so prominent though that it overpowers the base, would a crossover adjustment be needed. But I’m sure Crites had made a ton of B3 crossovers so you would think that would have come up

• Like 1

Just now, VDS said:

That’s a good idea, when was listening With the back off it seems like a lot of bass is being produced, it seems like the midrange is so prominent though that it overpowers the base, would a crossover adjustment be needed. But I’m sure Crites had made a ton of B3 crossovers so you would think that would have come up

Yes, since. You have probably already checked the polarity on the woofer, you should be able to put the back on, and proceed with the recommendations.

3 minutes ago, VDS said:

No, do think crossover is fine. You can expect a prominent mid sound.

When the bass is correct, it will sound alright. This for now...

29 minutes ago, billybob said:

No, do think crossover is fine. You can expect a prominent mid sound.

When the bass is correct, it will sound alright. This for now...

I have a straight up power amp, no controls. Pre amp is volume and input selector, and separate EQ. Hardly any settings to mess with. Switching polarity was negligible in difference, I probably don’t have very sensitive ears...

I just don’t see anything like people saying “tons of bass”. It’s so confusing. They sound great otherwise, I did not think I would need a sub, but....

2 minutes ago, VDS said:

I have a straight up power amp, no controls. Pre amp is volume and input selector, and separate EQ. Hardly any settings to mess with. Switching polarity was negligible in difference, I probably don’t have very sensitive ears...

I just don’t see anything like people saying “tons of bass”. It’s so confusing. They sound great otherwise, I did not think I would need a sub, but....

Do you have a CD player or something else that you can try?

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

You see, I want to bypass the Dac and streaming just to check a different source, for the sake of troubleshooting...

If nothing else to use to check, go back over your connections on your computer to DAC and from to your Emotiva. What is the model of the Emotiva?

2 hours ago, VDS said:

Newer Emotiva power amp, 75 wpc, schitt Saga preamp.  schiit dac from laptop,  exact set up with Elac speakers that made a lot of base for a 6" bookshelf woofer

not enough power -----get a stronger amp -bass requires a lot of power -