Just got the Cable HDTV hookup today!

robforst1

Cox Cable finally made available HDTV broadcasts. They came and installed it today.

They showed Harry Potter in HDTV on HBO...awesome!

The picture is like nothing else. It blows away DVD (by far in my opinion).

If I could only figure out how to record HDTV from the cable box now on my HD-VCR...1.gif

Where are you located? They have COX Cable HDTV here in Phoenix, AZ, but they require you to buy their $500 set top box. They may consider leasing the box next year. On top of that, they are only offering _two_ local channels over their system, PBS and ABC. Since I have a built in over the air HDTV tuner in my HDTV, I can get a number of channels via my indoor antenna; the investment just isn't worth it for me. Maybe if they lease the box...

I will have to do a test because my initial impressions of the HDTV vs. DVD I thought they were about the same. Now that you mention it though the HDTV is really detailed. You can actually see the tiny little hairs on peoples faces, and I'm not just talking on extreme close ups. The resolution is amazing.

As far as your dilema with the firewire, I think your probably going to have to wait awhile. The only thing I can think of is putting together some kind of concauction of stuff to run it through your computer and back into the VCR. I have no idea if they make component in cables for computers but if they did it may be possible to send the signals into the computer and then out of the computer if you have a firewire port, but it would be a huge pain in the arse and probably isn't even worth messing with. I will keep my eyes peeled on the internet to see if anything is out there.

EJ1.gif

I'm with Time Warner Cable here in Orlando and have had HDTV for about a year now, using the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD box with my Hitachi 43UWX10B TV (btw, they don't charge extra for the HD box). I wasn't all that impressed until I had Sears come out and do a convergence on the TV. This cost nothing since I purchased the 3 year warranty from them when I bought the TV.

All I can say is "what a difference!" The guy that came out has worked for Sears for 30 years and really knew his stuff. He also set the grey scale and really dialed in the picture. The biggest difference was with the HDTV channels. Much cleaner than DVD, and I am using a Progressive Scan player. I just wish they had more channels...

Mike

Man, I hope Cox takes a page from Time Warner and provides the set top box without charge. The least they could do is start a leasing program with the unit, instead making you pay outright for it.

I must admit though, a pure 1080i HDTV picture is _amazing_. I sometimes just sit and watch PBS just so I can enjoy the splendor of the high resolution and detail of the picture. I am experiencing some red push on my Sony set, and am getting it adjusted on Monday. 1.gif