WTB: 1953 Klipschorn in mahogany

LeeBruce

Hi all,  New here on the Klipsch Audio Community.

I'm an older guy and an out of work bartender down here in Tampa.  I work the big venues....like the Straz, Raymond James Stadium, The Tropicana and such.  My job at the Straz probably won't start back up until 2021, so spending some time on my audio hobby.  I have a bad habit of buying single speakers.

Thought I'd post a wanted ad for a 1953 Klipschorn, in mahogany, if anyone knows of one. Haven't opened mine up...so don't know if it has a Stephens TruSonic or and EV inside.

I'm also looking for several other singles....all from the 1950s.

RCA MI-12463-B  in Birch

Altec Verde in Teak

Altec 606 in mahogany  ( by Home Craft )

Thanks so much.

Lee

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

Thanks Frzninvt,

Yes, I did see those.  I do like the raw plywood look.  More industrial and not as fancy...

But it is quite different from mine to be making a pair.  I'll have to keep looking.

The patina and crackling on my mahogany one is really nice!

Lee

Edited by LeeBruce

Altec Verde in teak.  1958?

I did find a match for this one in Minnesota or Michigan...someplace. But the owner didn't want to sell or buy....so I am waiting her out.  Its been a couple years now.

AltecVerde.jpg

Edited by LeeBruce

33 minutes ago, LeeBruce said:

Hi all,  New here on the Klipsch Audio Community.

I'm an older guy and an out of work bartender down here in Tampa.  I work the big venues....like the Straz, Raymond James Stadium, The Tropicana and such.  My job at the Straz probably won't start back up until 2021, so spending some time on my audio hobby.  I have a bad habit of buying single speakers.

Thought I'd post a wanted ad for a 1953 Klipschorn, in mahogany,

beautiful   speaker , now I understand , you're looking for a matching speaker

• Thanks 1

Altec 606 by Home Craft.  Around 1953?  Mahogany.

I'm not sure about this, but believe that Hillcraft made these Altec cabinets on the West Coast...and Homecraft made them on the East Coast...

The Verde...and those type of speakers cabs were made in Glendale California...by a furniture company called Glenn....

Altec606.jpg

23 minutes ago, LeeBruce said:

RCA MI-12463-B

This is the speaker I'd most like to match up.  I guess from around 1957. 

RCA.jpg

RCA2.jpg

it's a mint speaker right down to the fabric -which is something , you can no longer find

5 minutes ago, LeeBruce said:

Altec 606 by Home Craft.  Around 1953?  Mahogany.

I'm not sure about this, but believe that Hillcraft made these Altec cabinets on the West Coast...and Homecraft made them on the East Coast...

The Verde...and those type of speakers cabs were made in Glendale California...by a furniture company called Glenn....

Altec606.jpg

this speaker is about as rare than they get -great cabinet workmanship  and the mahogany finish  is very expensive

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeeper,

I don't know....its become an obsession.  I can't seem to stop.

It all started about 18 years ago...

I spend a lot of time looking...

But now, I've become a hoarder....and my home is just crammed with gear.  I recently had to rent a storage space....which I had been trying to avoid. 

I did have a nice pair of raw Birch La Scalas but sold them about 10 years ago.  Bad mistake!

But my main problem is tube amplifiers.  I don't want to tell you how many I've collected...its very much out of hand.

Edited:  All the 50's speakers were probably sold as singles....Mono systems.  Stereo hadn't come around yet...That is another reason.

Edited by LeeBruce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeeBruce said:

But my main problem is tube amplifiers.  I don't want to tell you how many I've collected...its very much out of hand.

I'm looking for a tube or several tube amplifiers -----do you care to tell us what you have

Hi RandyH 000,

I don't have an inventory.  I should do that.  Best to ask what you are looking for.

My plans were to restore and fix up these pieces....in my elder years.  And list for sale....as I finish them.  But...I have yet to begin doing that...for the most part.

I've got everything from Fisher to Schulmerich.  Pilot, Ampex,

Mostly console pulls....Magnavox, Philco, Zenith, VM, Stromberg Carlson, Packard Bell....and others.  These were affordable...so collected them.

Fisher.....

SA-16  two of em  These are suppose to be popular for bi-amping as they have gain control on them.

CA-40  four of em  These are mono PPP EL84 amps.  Kinda the ugly stepchild...but I like them.

X-202.....beautiful condition....

and early 101?

another Fisher console pull....don't know the number...

That early Fisher Preamp/Tuner T101?

several Fisher console pull Receivers....probably the last all tube gear Fisher made.  T-29 ?

Use to have a pair of the Model 100 mono blocks.....but sold them over a decade ago to some guy in Sweden...

The Philco is very interesting....it was a top of the line I guess....for Philco, at the time.

The amp had special OPTs...and cables to run Electrostatic Tweeters....and then has standard Mid and Woofer.

I am trying to get together some test equipment....Function Generator and Oscilloscope....

A couple Harman Kardon Receivers....

The Award Series....

TA-5000 and a TA-7000X.

I believe the TA-7000x was top of the line.  70 Watts total output, or 35 per channel.

Several of each of these Magnavox :

A set of Westinghouse mono blocks....all matching numbers..( I'm a fanatic about that. )  One is kinda rough.

Hello,

Been a member for a few years but seldom write. Thought I would share storey. My brother and I are big Klipsch and McIntosh attics and live in Ontario Canada.

He bought a khorn in Parry Sound Ontario about 3-4 years ago and is in very good condition.

I found a khorn on an auction site 2 years ago in London Ontario. I won the khorn and drove the 4 hrs to pick it up

when I got it home and cleaned up etc., it was built in 1957, serial #1183

I called my brother to inquire about buying his to pair them up which would give me 2 pair of khorns. Brother agreed and I asked some details about the speaker

Well low and behold it also is a 1957 and get this.....serial #1182!!!!!!!!
Matching serial #’s from 1957, bought some 60 years after manufacture and found separated by an 8 hour drive 
Kinda cool

Regards,

MacMan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

it's a mint speaker right down to the fabric -which is something , you can no longer find

Believe it or not....one of these popped up on Ebay just a couple years ago.  ( before I had mine )

Bidding was heavy....so I assume there are others out there....trying to match up.

RCA made these in 12" and 15" speaker size....and mine is the 12". 

But I'd say you are right. Rare as hen's teeth is the old expression....

This is what I have been grappling with.  How to find these pieces besides the usual CL or Facebook marketplace...Reverb and such.  Are there other sources?  I will have to check Yahoo Japan!

The Altec 606 comes up pretty often....I'm not to worried about that one.  But then you have to find the same manufacturer....and finish.

I spend several years trying to match up a Westinghouse mono block....and finally did.  The seller told me he had been trying to match his...and finally gave up!