Did I do good?

Deang

Hardware,

what if the aqmp doesn't have a A B speaker hookups is there a way to try this like he states with different taps either 4 ohm or 16 ohm which would be correct ? Sounds just crazy enough for me to try. Although I think the heresy's being 8 db less effecient will make them hard to even hear with the Lascalas.

Craig

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOS440,

Oh, there is more to this trick than just that...for example:

If your LaScalas are firing EXACTLY at you in your listening position, then angle them just enough inward so that their centerline of fire crosses just ahead of your listening position...a foot or so...at least! Then take your upside down Heresys atop those LaScalas, and angle THEM so that THEIR centerline of fire is just BEHIND your listening position...the same amount of offset as the LaScalas!! Play around with this set-up some...just give it a try!! You will find the perfect distance of offset for your listening position for both pairs, and your soundstage will really open up in front of you!! Trust me!! Be sure to have the front edge of the Heresys pretty much equal to the front edge of the LaScalas. You will hear more than just a difference in the soundstage, too!!

It is IMPORTANT that the Heresys be upside down, though!! Another thing, after you get them set-up like I said...and to the point where you are happy with the positioning when sitting in your listening position...then stand up and walk around the room listening to this set-up!! Yet another surprise will be awaiting you!! 2.gif

Craig, you really need the Kester? I've probably got close to 3/4 LB of a spool left. I'm not likely to be soldering anything for a while, and when I do -- I still have close to 1/4 LB of the Cardas left. I'd be more than happy to send it your way if you need it.

I just went back and read the whole thread again. I was so busy taking the lashing from Kelly in 3 different threads, I missed all the kudos:) Well, thanks everyone. Cool.

I KNOW Kelly is right. But fact of the matter is -- I just can't swing anything bigger right now. The tubes for the Apollos were foremost in my thoughts, and improving the RF7 system was actually the primary motivation for selling the DQ's. No new toys unless old toys go first. That's just the way it is now. So, I needed something to replace them, and when I saw these Heresys -- I thought they would fit the bill perfectly for now.

I do a lot of movies on the downstairs system, and I wanted something that wouldn't lose detail and dynamics at low listening levels. I almost bought another set of RB5's, which everyone here knows I hold in very high regard. My reasoning was that for $300 less, I could finally experience some Heritage first hand. Maybe not the best that Heritage has to offer, but sufficient for my purposes. I also remembered all of the posts when I first came to the forum singing the praises of the RB5 -- "You're out of your mind dude, even a lowly set of Heresies will crush those things." So -- now I'll find out, and I didn't have to break the bank account to do it.

If I didn't have the SVS, I might not have done it, but I knew I could bring that bottom in to round things out a little. I'll dope the midrange driver, and start learning something about the crossover. I'm not an electronic guru -- but the soldering gun doesn't scare me, and with a little help I think I can get these sounding pretty sweet.

There ARE advantages that a smaller box has over a bigger one. The bass usually sounds more controlled, the midrange more coherant, and the soundstage is usually more stable. I realize these are generalizations that usually apply to direct radiator designs. I don't know if the same applies to horns. However, it does seem that a larger baffle will add a sense of diffuseness to the soundstage.

At any rate, it's hardly any big deal. I may like them and I may not. There is no way I can know unless I hear them. I will play and tweak and see what happens. If my ears can't deal -- I'll sell. However, there is just as much a chance that with the sub and with proper placement -- they will do much of what I want them to do.

If I want finesse and magic -- I'll go upstairs:)