Home Theater Speaker Design - Help Request

LogDog

Hello all,

We are designing a dedicated home theater in a new construction home. I have been out of the component/speaker world for a long time and I would very much appreciate some help on selecting the right speakers for the theater.

Room Dimension - 20W x 20L x 10H. Two rows of seats. 4 seats in front, 5 elevated in back. First row is 8' from front channels, second row is 14'.

Our idea was to run a set of in-will speakers all around that consist of the THX series.

Center: 504-L x1

R/L: 502-L x2

Sides: 502-L x2 or x4?

Rear: 502-L x2

Atmos: 5002-L x4?

Subs: 2x

Help required:

1. Do we need two sets of side speakers, or one? Will they compete or complement each row?

2. Would the 8000-S be a better choice for a side speaker than the 502-L? 

3. Atmos, do we need the 5002-L or 5002-S atmos speaker to complete a four speaker setup? Would the surround be wasted on a four speaker setup?

4. Atmos, should we use another ceiling speaker or are the 5002s a significant upgrade performance wise over other ceiling speakers?

5. How much power can the center channel take? The 504-L seems to have a wide range on its spec sheet, but can it really take 600w peaks?

6. Should the front speakers be 3x504s or 1x504 and R/L 2x502?

If there are any other issues I have overlooked please let me know.

I would like to thank all of you for answers and pro tips in advance.

Cheers!

LogDog

Edited by LogDog

On 8/22/2020 at 10:26 PM, LogDog said:

Hello all,

We are designing a dedicated home theater in a new construction home. I have been out of the component/speaker world for a long time and I would very much appreciate some help on selecting the right speakers for the theater.

Room Dimension - 20W x 20L x 10H. Two rows of seats. 4 seats in front, 5 elevated in back. First row is 8' from front channels, second row is 14'.

Our idea was to run a set of in-will speakers all around that consist of the THX series.

Center: 504-L x1

R/L: 502-L x2

Sides: 502-L x2 or x4?

Rear: 502-L x2

Atmos: 5002-L x4?

Subs: 2x

Help required:

1. Do we need two sets of side speakers, or one? Will they compete or complement each row?

2. Would the 8000-S be a better choice for a side speaker than the 502-L? 

3. Atmos, do we need the 5002-L or 5002-S atmos speaker to complete a four speaker setup? Would the surround be wasted on a four speaker setup?

4. Atmos, should we use another ceiling speaker or are the 5002s a significant upgrade performance wise over other ceiling speakers?

5. How much power can the center channel take? The 504-L seems to have a wide range on its spec sheet, but can it really take 600w peaks?

6. Should the front speakers be 3x504s or 1x504 and R/L 2x502?

If there are any other issues I have overlooked please let me know.

I would to thank all of you for answers and pro tips in advance.

Cheers!

LogDog

Hi

1. Id still go for only one set of speakers for surround L&R. If youre concerned the surround speaker placement wont work for both rows, dont be. I mean, i havent exactly done the math, but side surround placement can be offset by a small angle infront or behind the listener. Place the side surrounds smack inbetween the two rows and im mostly sure youll be golden. If you really want a second set, id suggest having them set up as front wides. Im not too sure if there would be space for front wides in a 20x20 room but im gonna leave that up for you to decide. Wether or not having two sets of speakers for side surrounds would compete or complement each other, im not sure, never tried it myself.  

2. In my opinion, no. The 8000s are either dipole/bipole speakers and if i remember correctly, these are supposed to be positioned directly to the side of the listener when used as side surrounds. Because of this, and the fact that you have two rows, you wont be able to accommodate both rows sufficiently. 

3. If the direction of the 5002S tweeter can be adjusted, id go for them. If not, then my initial thought would be that either would work as long as your positioning on the roof is perfect. The surrounds would not be wasted in a setup consisting of 4 atmos speakers. The surrounds are ear level speakers and the surrounds are overhead speakers. 

4. I dont know if the THX ceiling speakers perform better than for example a RP ceiling speaker, but i would guess they do even though sound is subjective.  However, I would recommend having THX speakers for in-ceiling if the rest of your setup also consist of THX speakers. That way, it all looks good aesthetically speaking and you eliminate any chance of different tweeters emitting different sounding audio.bv 

5. Yup, pretty much. Dont get caught up in power ratings for speakers, amps and receivers. Most of it is nominal and or false. Just know that any choice you make is safe. REALLY hard to go wrong tbh.

6. Your choice! Either works.

If any of the sentences above dont make sense, than please tell me so i can try to rephrase. I wrote this in one go and in the end im not even sure what i wrote... lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...