For Sale KLF-30

Kartracer77

Doesn't surprise me really. Without tubes pushing those things they probably do sound brutal. I take a lot of punishment here on the forum because of my views on the horn midrange. Where I for the most part can't stand the sound of them, most others here would rather die than give them up.

The argument always goes something like this: The majority of music is in the midrange. Having a speaker that plays the midrange through cones, defeats the whole purpose of having horns.

I'm getting ready to give Heresies a chance in my other system. Well, the 'other' system is for the most part gone. The DQ's are gone, and I just sold the preamp. I still need to move the Aragon. The new system will simply be a refurbished Scott tube integrated, Marantz DVD player, one SVS sub -- and the Heresies. I'm preparing for the worst, and hoping for the best. I've got two pillows ready, thinking I might have to throw them in front of the speakers to make them bearable:) It will be interesting to see what I think. I do think the tubes will make a big difference. How big of a difference is the question.

The new Polks sound "pleasent", but they don't sound "right" to me. They are just WAY to laid back, lacking in dynamics, and pretty short on resolving power.

You REALLY should try to hear the RF3II's or the RB5II's. I believe either of these dust the Polks pretty good, without making you feel like you're getting to much of a good thing. You could probably easily work out a trade here for some RF3's.

Just curious. What are you using for amplification?

Denon PRA-1100

Denon POA 2400a

I liked the KLF-10s I would like to hear the RF-5. I like the horn tweeters, but that mid is just too bright/harsh.

Whick polk line are you refering to? the LSI or the recent RTi line? I like the SDA's but my favorite is still the DQ-10s.

I notice you sait to check out the rf-3ii and rb-5s. the rb-5 is a power speaker , were you acutally meaning the rF-5?

Sounds like you have ears like mine.

I heard the LSi9's. I liked them, but not enough to own them. Once your ears get dialed in to the low level detail and macrodynamics of the horn, everything else just sounds kind of compressed and sucked in -- like the music's being pulled back into some black hole.

It's tough not to like a two-way, and the a two way with a horn tweet gives you the best of both worlds.

You are are thinking of the RP3 and RP5, which were powered. The RF3II and RB5II are passive. The RF3II is a floorstander with two eights, and the RB5II is a monitor with one eight. I like the RB5II better, but that's just me. It's tight and fast, and has a real wood finish. The RF3II will give you lower bass extension, but doesn't sound quite as coherent through the midrange as the RB5II, and has a vinyl finish. They both cost the same.

RF5 at $1500 retail is a nice step up. Compared to the RF3, is a little taller, a little more efficient, goes a little bit lower, has a bit more fine tuning in the crossover, weighs 4 lbs more, has a 2" bigger horn, and has a real wood finish.

I think you would be pretty much blown away by any of the above. I ran RB5's with a sub for two years, and still believe there isn't ANYTHING on the market that can even remotely compete with that sound at the same pricepoint.

I just bought a pair of KLF 10's, and returned the PR3's back to the dealer because they were WAY too short on mid bass due to the paltry 5.5" speaker.

It took me about 10 seconds to really like the KLF's! For the 1970's dance, soul, and rythem music that I prefer - these speaker crushed the PR3's without trying.

Tweeter Etc. here in the northeast is retailing them for $299 each and if you like "mid bass" I think you'd be very happy with these.

Ironically, I would be willing to bet that the 30's don't sound as good given that the 10's only have the highs going to a horn. But that's just a guess.

An interesting note here....

In a head to head dual using Wyetech Labs Onyx Monoblocks / Joule-Electra Stargates / Wright Sound 2A3 monos with a Joule Electra LS-100Mk III preamp, the Klipsch Cornwalls (77 vintage with Alnico and Type B in Xovers) bettered the RF-5 in all areas of importance, smoothness being on the list.

Does this mean the RF-5 is not a good speaker? Not necessarily. Although it does give one pause as to how far Klipsch has come. I personally think the RF series is biased toward the HT side of the equation. But when pushed by good equipment, does some pretty nice things as Dean found out. I just think he might find other paths a step up; it just might take awhile to get there. My bet is those RF-7 will end up as your best HT speaker although I bet your are getting some nice stuff with them right now.

kh

Kelly, I wasn't aware that you had heard the RF5's. I can only say that the 2a3 is probably not the best choice to get the most out of the Reference speakers, especially if the amps are not wired to the 4 ohm taps on the transformers. Reference is a different animal altogether, and though efficient, they are not really the best choice for SET.

Leo will be putting the Moondogs on his RF7's soon, and I'm very curious to see what he will find. I was surprised by his choice, but Leo knows his stuff, and so I guess there will be magic in the air.

dean, that is why I included the Wyetech Labs Onyx Monoblocks and Joule-Electra Stargates.

The Wyetech amps utilize the NOS Phillips 6080WC output tube and comes in at over 11w per channel.

The Joule-Electra Stargates are VERY powerful SET using the 6C33 Russian triode.. damn BEAST of a tube and bringing close to 30W in parallel SET depending on configuration (this amp also has adjustable Negatiave feedback).

The Wrights actually are Class A1 bias which makes them more suitable for harder to drive speakers in some ways (although not always the best for tubes.

kh