Multichannel stereo vs pure direct

djphllps

So I just had a wtf moment with my rp500m speakers. I was checking out sound modes in heos and when I hit pure direct I could clearly see the speakers were being pushed way harder (more like what they I'm guessing are capable of) the woofers were actually pushing air out of the port and such plus they were much louder.  That led me to look at my denon x2600h power ratings but I was hard pressed to find anything other than a 2ch 95w rating.  Now I wanna know when I'm utilizing all channels what each channel is putting out.  How can I find this out.  I thought I was sitting pretty with this receiver but now I'm not so sure.    One more thing should I break them in this way since they are being pushed more and also should I plu my rp500c into a side channel and break it in similarly.

Edited by djphllps
  • Like 1

I have ran audyssey. Volume is anywhere from -15 to 0 depending on the song ....I did figure out that when on multichannel they are getting 95w but when on pure direct they are getting 125w so it makes sense now.  I found an article that broke it down better than what the klipsch spec sheet does.  On multichannel I can pretty much keep them at 0db no matter the song and I don't even feel like they are pushing hard.  They are rated for 75w so kudos on klipsch for making some damn good speakers.

• Like 1

You can do a Google search for your receiver's model and "bench test" to see if it's been independently measured for actual power output. 

On some receivers Pure Direct disables crossover points and turns off the subwoofer if you're listening to a 2 channel source so it would make sense, it's running your 500s full range. 

Your AVR is rated at 95w/ch@8ohms(20Hz to 20kHz) with 2 channels driven.  If I had to guess, that would equate to maybe 55 to 60w/ch with all channels driven.  Pure direct bypasses all processing/filters so you are getting an unadulterated signal which may explain the beefier sound.

Bill