SHURE Cartridge

T2K

I'm considering buying a Shure M97xe cartridge for my back up turntable. Anyone had any experience with that cartridge? Any recommendations on where to buy? Any other comments, positive or negative, about Shure cartridges you've used will be appreciated. As usual, thanks for your input.

Keith

Keith,

Shure cartridges are all I have used in 24 years. Craig has used that cartridge and likes it quite a bit. I get most of my stuff from www.garage-a-records.com but I believe he found it cheaper somewhere else. The good thing about Shure is you can send them your broken or worn out stylus with a check for $20, and they will send you a brand new one in return...

Mike

Thanks for the info guys! I'm probably going to buy either the Shure or another (secret) cartridge just to try them out. Need a cart so wanted to experiment. Then I'm going to give the TT and cart to my Dad, along with some LP's that I need to get rid of! Thanks for the leads.

Keith

Mike,

Can you elaborate just a little on that $20 for a replacement stylus? I'm finding the stylus part of the cost of playing records to be significant. The difference alone would have me well on the way to the cost of a nice Shure. I like the Grado sound, but maybe Shure would be interesting to try.

leok

Just got a response from Craig's rec. Like he said, go to their site, there you will be prompted to send e-mail for price quote. About an hour later got a response exactly like Craig said, $100 lock,stock,and extra stylus, delivered. Thanks Craig!

Keith

EDit: Oh yeah, the cart only no x-tra stylus $69 + $4 + Ship.

leok-

Just give Shure ( www.shure.comm )a call and tell them you want to tajke them up on their "Stylus Exchange" program. They'll probably transfer you to an older, grandmotherly type, lady named Helen(?). She'll give you the exact address you need to send it to. It's well worth it to take them up on it. The package that came back to me looked very well made so I kept it around for future shipments. Luckily I was able to take them up on two styli since I already had a spare for my V15 Type V as well as the original VN45HE. The only replacement available for the VN45HE was the exact replacement for the V15VxMR, I certainly didn't mind that!9.gif

As far as past expierience with Shure, I can say that I've only had two cartridges from them......That was all I needed/wanted. A new cartridge will sound very bass heavy at first but after ~50 hours of playing/break-in time it'll settle into a natural tone.