Ordered R-820F's but I have second thoughts

Vankyra

Greetings friends,

First of all I'd like to thank you all for the patience and your precious help (I know I can be annoying at times..) 

I will review my situation, budget, thoughts and all that, so it's easier to review the whole story here.

My current setup:

• Sound setup, (All Kenwood except my subwoofer). Kenwood 21 Series - 2 small tower speaker - 1 center - 2 surrounds - MA-300amp - 1 Energy subwoofer - . This setup is extremely old, it does support 5.1surround sound, but only through 5 RCA cables. No HDMI's whatsoever. 
  • Sony 55inch TV
  • A room almost 4m x 4m with 3m ceilings (this will change in 1-2 years when I move to a bigger house). 

What I need: 

• 2 tower speakers, 1 center channel and an AVR. I started with the tower speakers because they got some good sales this period, at least in my country. Never seen AVR's going on sale where I live. 

I already ordered a pair of R-820F's at 650 was 40% down. Salesman called me saying that those speakers are out of stock and they should be back on 20-25th of December. In the mean time I searched and searched... and I kinda regret not going for the RP line, since everyone out there don't like the simple R line and they swear that it's worth it to get the RP line instead. Now, I have already paid 650euros and I could give ~300more, budget wise, a total of 950-1000euros.

I'll write down the list of the tower speakers, available in my country and their prices:

1. - R-620F's at 550euros
  2. - R-820F's at 650euros
  3. - RP-4000F's at 800euros
  4. - RP-250F's at 830euros
  5. - RP-5000F's at 990euros
  6. - RP-260F's at 1130euros
  7. - RP-8000F's at 1200euros
  8. - RP-6000F's at 1240euros
  9. - RP-280F's at 1360euros

Is it worth it to push the budget and leave the R-820F's behind to get something more "premium" ? I've read that the R line is made in China and they aren't that good. Having second thoughts and can't decide.. 

Just now, wuzzzer said:

Don't worry about the made in China thing.  All the Reference Premiere are made there as well. 

I find it odd that the 280s are more expensive than the 8000s since the 280s are the older version of the 8000s.

Oh I didn't know that about the China thing.. Thought they were made in the USA. 

As for the prices, it's because they have the 8000f's on sale. They normally cost 1488euros all year, but now they are down to 1199euros. 

Untitled.png.e16dc29f26b09b8175ab19ad6caf07a2.png

It's all about what your budget is, getting the better speaker will eliminate "what if", but is it worth it. There is always a better speaker out there. If you got the 820s home, listened to them, and never read anything on the net about them, you would be happy. I think you got a pretty good deal on the R820s, guarantee you will like them. Have you seen them or listened to them yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

It's all about what your budget is, getting the better speaker will eliminate "what if", but is it worth it. There is always a better speaker out there. If you got the 820s home, listened to them, and never read anything on the net about them, you would be happy. I think you got a pretty good deal on the R820s, guarantee you will like them. Have you seen them or listened to them yet?

You're so right... I find myself being in a trap, a really bad one always thinking "what if I bought the 8000F's since they're on sale...that way I wouldn't upgrade the L and R channel ever again in my life". 

I've heard the 820's twice, first with a subwoofer and the second time without one. Low frequency was really good and they fill up the living room I was in extremely well! The only thing I didn't quite like was the horns, being a bit on the bright side. 

5 hours ago, Vankyra said:

The only thing I didn't quite like was the horns, being a bit on the bright side. 

Depends on the amplifier ...using a high resolution amp like Emotiva than you´ve got this problem with the harshness , but you´re going to connect a Denon , they got a warmer groundcolour sound image...and the horn needs time to become a softer warmer soundimage, that´s called " burn In " which can take a couple of hundred hours, this is valid for the entire speaker. Another important point are the room acustics, make shure that your listening space doesn´t allow high frequency reflections with naked stone floor as well as seeling and walls.