Marantz integrated amp recommendations, plz!

btlancaster24

1 hour ago, btlancaster24 said:

Thank you, ILI_MeloManiac!  I appreciate your help!!  Where can I get the best price on the amps you mentioned?  I’m definitely after sound quality but I don’t need more than 96 kHz / 24 bit (this is what you get for $20 a month streaming from TIDAL).   44.1 kHz /16 bit is what I’ve been listening to from TIDAL HiFi for $9.99 a month on my iMac with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black + Jitterbug connected to Klipsch Pro Media computer speakers.  And I’ve been streaming TIDAL through my Denon and Klipsch KG2’s (even though the Denon has issues with the right channel + distortion + the loudness knob is busted off) via Chromecast Audio.   

It is not just the DAC resolution that defines the sound quality, but also the architecture and quality of the components inside the amp that will define it. I own the Marantz PM5005, which is the lowest entry level you have. It is a fine, straightforward 2 channel amp. But compared with my Harman Kardon 430, dating back to the 1970s, the H/K easily wins. The h/k is much more powerful, esp at low volume the low frequencies are present already.

If you invest in the PM7000N it will stay many years with you, easily 15, being the heart of your audio system while you grow through different sets of speakers and gear.

If you invest in the NR1200, it will be fine for a couple of years and then you can move on to something new, or it can migrate to your home theatre.

The PM6007 is also interesting, it comes with subwoofer out, and higher quality components, but it does not have streaming built in.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 8:10 PM, btlancaster24 said:

I’m willing to spend about $1000 but I just want to make sure it’s well spent.  I’m not saying I want to spend $1000 if I don’t have to.  But I don’t really want to spend more than $1000.  

What did you end up buying and how do you like it. I’m thinking of pairing a Marantz amp with some KG2 speaker.