coax or optical for digital components?

adammk5

Somebody told me to use optical wire for my DVD player rather than coax because it gives off less distortion and better multichannel sound.but I only have 1 optical and I'm using it,can I tell the difference between the 2? By the way the interconnect I will be getting is THX Certified.

Thank You to who ever replies.

Adam,

I always will choose the coax over the optical if I have the option. I personally hate those optical cables. As far as sound goes you will notice no difference, its a digital signal, its wither there in full or it's not there.

The problem with the optical cables are that they are somewhat sensitive to bending and loops. I believe the only plus the optical cables have over coax is that there is no chance of electrical interference, however I have never expirienced any with coax. I have however had problems with optical cables.

In short, in won't matter which you decide to use.

EJ1.gif

Adam

COAX is better than Optical for two reasons. The main reason is the TOSCAM (optical) standard is way too loose and allows for too many timing delays between the components. The second reason is minor, but you can run Coax for a longer distance if needed.

They sell special COAX cable, but since it is a digital signal and suffers less signal decay than Audio, I use old lower grade audio interconnects for my COAX connections.

JM

IMHO you won't be able to tell the difference between optical, THX certified coax, or the cheapest 75 ohm coax. Besides begin able to run much farther, there are technical reasons that might make coax a better choice. But, I have never been able to hear a difference. So, I think you will be happy whatever you use.

it depends, look at your components, which has the better dac? if the dvd has the better dac than go with an analog connection, but if the processor has a better dac than use fibre, the fibre will carry the digital signal to the processors dac for decoding, this will optomise the strengths of your system12.gif

ALL digital cables sound the same?!?!?!?!??!! I understand why this would be thought becuease the digital signal is composed of 1s and 0s, but under that theory all DACs would sound the same. Optical cables are inferior to coaxial. It is true that optical will give off no electromagnetic field to intefer with your other cables becuase it works on impules of light rather than elecrical signals. But optical cables tend to blur the images and soften bass. If coaxial is an option it should be taken. If you dont believe me, check out chapter 8 of Robert Harleys's "Complete Guide to High End Audio".