CORNWALL with K-52-H???

Freud

Hello every body,

I am french and i purchase a pair of KLIPSCH CORNWALL I from a guy who live near Paris and i feel so happy to have them because these speakers cannot be found in this country(France). I was looking for two years on "ebay" and what a surprise when i saw a pair of "cornwall" pricing in uros! I click on them and saw that they where located at only 30 minutes by car from my home!!! and fortunately i succed to be the best bidder just at the limit time...Ouf! Other frenches wanted them!...

Ok,i love the "CORNWALLS"! it's my first heritage speakers and i'm amazed at how good it is for such old tecnology compared to the new "reference" line!...Older is better!. I have some "klipsch RF3II" but this "Cornwalls" sound better. Soundstage is almost the same but it's a "little" more bigger, precise, robust, transparent and have a "little" more body...But in general, I have to admit that the "RF3" have the same kind of sound than the "CORNWALL", and they are not so bad for a 2 way speakers! But these littles things that are missing in the "Reference" line, the "Héritage" line have them...

My Klipsch "Cornwall" have the type B3 crossover with K-77-M / K-52-H(?) and K-33-E. Serial number are 35 Y 077 / 35 Y 076 and they are from 1983.

I Will replace the crossovers and the mediums speakers(K-52-H) with some type B crossover and K-55-V speakers that i have already in stock! and see how different they sound...maybe better...maybe not...

But i want to do first is just putting the K-55-V with the type B3 crossover. Is that possible? Can they work together?

And I will try to put some photos...if i can...

Have a good day every body!

• Like 1

Hi, Freud

Your Cornwalls were built in 1983 according to the "Y" in the serial numbers. Therefore, that have the newer style midrange driver. They also have the newer style crossover to go with the driver. I's suggest you keep the B3 crossovers with the K-52 drivers and build a set of "B" crossovers to work with your K-55-V drivers. Go to Al Klappenbergers site at www.alkeng.com, go the Klipsch corner, look at the "B" crossover design and pictures. This is the correct crossover to use with the K-55-V's or you can just use your stock "B" crossovers if you have some. many will claim that the earlier "V" series driver and "B" crossover will sound better, you are in an ideal position to find out. Just set up one speaker with the old, one with the newer stuff, see which you like best.

Others may join in here with ideas and opinions, lots of Cornwall owners on here.

Congratulations on your find, I'll bet there's not many pairs of those in France.

Tom

Tom

Thank you for the advices, But i have already the type B crossover That i buy on "ebay" in germany. So, if i understand well, i can't put the K-55-V with the "type B3" crossover that is already in my "CORNWALL"...I would like to do that because i want to go step by step in my upgrades...

• Like 1

Listen to your Cornwalls for a few months, maybe longer, before you feel the urge to change the guts.

This can be hard at first, but simply lie down with a cold washcloth on your forehead until the feeling goes away.

After you are well acquainted with their characteristics, then you may want to try some minor changes.

I vote for simplicity myself, and would assume without looking that the type B is simpler than the B3. Whether this works with the drivers or not is for you to decide.

I buy the type B crossover because i like their simplicity, and think, like other ones in this forum, that simpler is better.

About the K-55-V there is no risk to dammage them with the "type B3" crossover? they are compatible?...

Thank you the help.1.gif

• Like 1

I think the tonal characterisitics were off!

I do feel the Type Bs are a better match to the K-55-V,!

B-3 and K-55-Vs, the frequency match is just not as tonal as the Type B!

Even better, maybe get the mid horn caps from a type AA, for the K-55-Vs, and work it in with the Type B crossover!

Heck i dont know LOL!

All i know is the Type B3 is ear peircing on the mids, as the type B isnt as much!

Jim