Chorus I Modification?

Codecheck

I hope I am putting this in the correct place, because this is my 1st post. I have heard that the K-61 squawker plastic horn design in the Chorus II was an improvement over the K-57 squawker plastic horn in the Chorus I. It appears that the hole pattern of the horns are different but are the overall dimensions of the mounting flange the same? Would a Chorus II midrange horn drop in the recessed area for the Chorus I or would I have to modify the opening? I currently have replaced the tweeter with Dave's Lmahl tweeters and rebuilt the crossovers which was a vast improvement. As most nuts in this hobby, I want to improve what ever I can. When I purchased the Chorus I's there was some slight damage to the cabinets so I re-veneered them with book matched quarter sawn white oak. Originality, is not crucial for me because I am in the 4th quarter of my life and when I die my wife put these out on the curb for the bulk trash pickup. Thanks. 

• Like 1

the dimensions are totally different between the chorus & ch2 horns & will require modification.  im sure someone can verify the actual dimensions but the ch2 horn is a much taller almost square shape & the chorus is a very narrow rectangle shape, its possible the chorus horn is too wide & wont allow for just cutting a taller hole for the ch2 horn. 

& please tell your wife to NOT put these in the trash pile, she can get decent $ for these when you're gone.  

On 12/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, Codecheck said:

Would a Chorus II midrange horn drop in the recessed area for the Chorus I

No it would not drop in the recessed area , the woofer opening would be in the way , you would need to cut out the existing motorboard to  fit the drivers by 1st lowering the woofer cutout , then fitting a filler panel  to mount the midrange chorus II horn , or you can make a new motorboard from scratch --

• Like 1

There is room above the woofer in a Chorus 1 for a k-510 horn, with a 2" to 1-3/8" threaded adapter you could install a Crites A55-g on the horn but the tweeter would have to be top mounted and the grill cover would no longer fit in place. Another option would be to top mount the new midhorn / driver leaving the old one in place.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

There is room above the woofer in a Chorus 1 for a k-510 horn, with a 2" to 1-3/8" threaded adapter you could install a Crites A55-g on the horn but the tweeter would have to be top mounted and the grill cover would no longer fit in place. Another option would be to top mount the new midhorn / driver leaving the old one in place.

why not take advantage of the opportunity and go two way? Bob Crites could help you with a crossover.

47 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Great idea ------

Actually you could mount the K510  way over to the right  , and mount the tweeter to the left , the tweeter lense  would have to be placed upright - it's gonna be tight but it will  fit -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moray james said:

why not take advantage of the opportunity and go two way? Bob Crites could help you with a crossover.

I have asked Crites in the past about customized crossovers and he did not sound interested at all in straying from his tried and true designs. As fars as I know he has no 2-way crossover designs with a k-48 as the woofer section, only the k-33 or like drivers.

33 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I have asked Crites in the past about customized crossovers and he did not sound interested at all in straying from his tried and true designs. As fars as I know he has no 2-way crossover designs with a k-48 as the woofer section, only the k-33 or like drivers.

how about the KP 302---

31 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

how about the KP 302---

Honestly dont think a 2 way chorus 1 with a k61 horn / driver would be an improvement over stock I was thinking more along the lines of a higher end Faital pro driver or B&C. 

Thanks to all of the people that took the time to respond. I guess I will keep them as they are now. I think I will put my efforts into replacing the can capacitors in my Marantz 7C for my next project during the holidays. I hope everyone has a safe next couple of weeks and are able to find something to be thankful for with all that is going on in the world right now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Honestly dont think a 2 way chorus 1 with a k61 horn / driver would be an improvement over stock I was thinking more along the lines of a higher end Faital pro driver or B&C. 

the K61 is a mid horn and not a wide band horn but the mid horn used in the KLF20/30 is a wide band horn and so is the horn used in the CF3/4 and either of those two would make a fine two way given a wide band driver with a one inch exit. If you were good with a limited top end response then the K61 could be used but I don't think it gets out much past 12KHz..

10 hours ago, moray james said:

the K61 is a mid horn and not a wide band horn but the mid horn used in the KLF20/30 is a wide band horn and so is the horn used in the CF3/4 and either of those two would make a fine two way given a wide band driver with a one inch exit. If you were good with a limited top end response then the K61 could be used but I don't think it gets out much past 12KHz..

Klipsch actually used the k-61/62 horn in 2-way pro speakers early 2000's? with an upper end rating of 15khz IIRC.

Certain ones used the 2" titanium driver the k-66e? but on the same style horn as the k-61 just the threaded insert type.

I really don't see a 2-way being better than stock unless the horn and driver size is increased over stock like with the 1.4" Faital Pro driver horn combo, which would fit above the woofer just need a crossover built for that combo or could go active I guess.

9 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Klipsch actually used the k-61/62 horn in 2-way pro speakers early 2000's? with an upper end rating of 15khz IIRC.

Certain ones used the 2" titanium driver the k-66e? but on the same style horn as the k-61 just the threaded insert type.

I really don't see a 2-way being better than stock unless the horn and driver size is increased over stock like with the 1.4" Faital Pro driver horn combo, which would fit above the woofer just need a crossover built for that combo or could go active I guess.

I did recall the Chorus ll mid horn was indeed used in a number of pro designs but it does not make it flat to 15KHz. because it was never intended to be used as a wide band horn (approaching 20KHz.). You don't see the benefit of a two way over a three way? PWK certainly did that was the reason behind the Jubilee to replace the KHorn which he had always wanted to be a two way but it did not have the necessary range and as such stayed a three way. That's not to say people can and do have preferences with two way Vs three way so by all means but I like to remember that large format two ways ruled worldwide in the recording studios for more than thirty years and in my opinion they do a lot of things very well and not much very wrong. I hope you can find what you are looking for that sounds the way you have hoped that it will. Have a happy christmas and stay well.

5 hours ago, moray james said:

You don't see the benefit of a two way over a three way?  in my opinion they do a lot of things very well and not much very wrong. I hope you can find what you are looking for that sounds the way you have hoped that it will. Have a happy christmas and stay well.

I'm not against 2-way speakers I'm just saying that in this instance I do not believe replacing the stock Chorus mid and tweeter with something comparable to a KLF-10 horn and driver would be an improvement.

As for me I'm doing ok, got my own little project in the works and yes it is a 3-way.

20201220_075945 (584x640).jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'm not against 2-way speakers I'm just saying that in this instance I do not believe replacing the stock Chorus mid and tweeter with something comparable to a KLF-10 horn and driver would be an improvement.

As for me I'm doing ok, got my own little project in the works and yes it is a 3-way.

20201220_075945 (584x640).jpg

I agree if you want to cover the same range with two drivers rather than three the two driver set up  is going to require a much better horn driver as it must cover a much wider range. The upside is one less crossover in the most sensitive range of our hearing and integration over a shorter distance so better for near field listening. But different horses for different courses and each to his own. Enjoy your project and have a happy christmas.

• Like 1