Covid Couch Tourism

Zen Traveler

12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I enjoy looking at that stuff -- maybe I'm there only in my imagination; but imagination is a wonderful thing (and cheap entertainment).

I'll tell you where the value is for me is visiting places I've been. There is SO MUCH material from daily walking and bike tours to Driver's eye-view of famous train and road routes pretty much anywhere you want to go in Europe. I follow this crap daily and found 3 to 5 different folks that do this in Amsterdam alone and in 4K looks incredible on my 55" monitor. Heck, even the sound is getting better but I usually don't turn on the HT sound system.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I'll tell you where the value is for me is visiting places I've been. There is SO MUCH material from daily walking and bike tours to Driver's eye-view of famous train and road routes pretty much anywhere you want to go in Europe. I follow this crap daily and found 3 to 5 different folks that do this in Amsterdam alone and in 4K looks incredible on my 55" monitor. Heck, even the sound is getting better but I usually don't turn on the HT sound system.

I often take a walking tour of my old haunts and see what's the same and what has changed. it's fun. My brother just told me last night that he was looking at our childhood home on Google Earth and never realized how big the backyard was. 

unrelated; but still interesting ... my parents both died within five months of each other ... I was eight years old. Obviously, California wouldn't let me live there alone so I got shipped off to live with relatives ... then later different relatives. Anyway, years later my cousin is now married and her husband's co-worker is having a party and they're invited. she is walking up to the door and stops and says "I can't go in there."  her husband asks why and she says "this is house that aunt & uncle lived in."  she went in, but said she was really freaked out. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I often take a walking tour of my old haunts and see what's the same and what has changed. it's fun. My brother just told me last night that he was looking at our childhood home on Google Earth and never realized how big the backyard was. 

unrelated; but still interesting ... my parents both died within five months of each other ... I was eight years old. Obviously, California wouldn't let me live there alone so I got shipped off to live with relatives ... then later different relatives. Anyway, years later my cousin is now married and her husband's co-worker is having a party and they're invited. she is walking up to the door and stops and says "I can't go in there."  her husband asks why and she says "this is house that aunt & uncle lived in."  she went in, but said she was really freaked out. 

I do the same thing. The family lived in West Los Angeles in several different neighborhoods. Because of the ginormous property values there all but one of my childhood homes have been dramatically remodeled. That one house is in Venice and it is the only one that tugs on the heartstrings. The rest are all very nice but do not engage my nostalgia. Maybe it’s time for more therapy?

• 10 months later...