I have just built the DIY Adire Audio Tempest 214L subwoofer....Holy S#$%!!!

BLOOMIS914

Bloomis, Im with Dustin and the ear on this issue too, no need to build a tempest sonotube, what you got is just as good, even better, it aint the size of a water heater and sure looks a 100 percent better.The only sonotube that would be better would be a duel tempest, and it would be real big.Just my opinion, heck I would trade you SUBS any day of the week.

Z28- Thanks a lot, I appreciate the feedback. I really went the extra mile in making sure the finished sub looked as good as anything store bought....and it sure does. A valuable lesson I learned here was that it is much easier to do it right and thorough the first time then it is to go back and try and fix or improve something.

I was so anxious to get this thing done and I am glad I took my time through the entire process.

I watched MIB-II last night after the wife and kids went to bed and there is some very good LFE in this movie. Also watched Monsters Inc. with my kids and excellent LFE in there also. This sub is as good as anything I've heard and I just can't get over it's output and how low it can go. I run it at about 6 of 10 (1 o'clock) on the volume and have it crossed over at just over 40 Hz.

Best $400 I have EVER spent!!

ajgb72----Thanks....

Sure you could build a raw unfinished 3/4" MDF cabinet with wood glue, clamps and a brad nailer and forget any mitred corners/edges and just make sure you seal every corner and intersection so you don't get any vibration or worse yet air leaks.

Many have built the same box but very UNfinished and raw MDF as a simple and cost effective way to evaluate the DIY subs. But watch out, once you start, this becomes an addiction and then after your first fix, you become a DIY Bass Junkie and will want more.

Key things:

1) You can't cut accurate enough

2) Air leaks in a subwoofer are the equivalent of trying to blow up a balloon with a hole in it

3) Silicone adhesive is incredibly strong and very cheap

4) You can't cut accurate enough

5) Pre-drill any hole with a bit at least 1/2 the diameter of the fastener to be inserted

6) MDF is compressed sawdust and will split easy

7) Make all same dimension cuts at the same time, then move to the next dimension, don't randomly cut pieces or things will never match up

8) Use a good table saw or forget about all external cosmetics or ease of assembly

9) Your local lumber mill (NOT HD or Lowe's) can cut your MDF to your required plan sizes and for very cheap usually less around 0.50 to 1.00 per cut

10) Pre-drill all holes or the MDF will split

Good luck

For more info go to Hometheaterforum.com DIY and Advanced projects