Old Klipsch SW10 pops at loud volume...

Mystery

I got this in a package deal with other speakers untested but was told works fine.

For a 10" woofer and 12" passive, this is a huge sub. My RW-10 looks puny in front of this.

It does work good in normal listening volume.

However, at loud volume with level past 12, when the bass hits hard, it pops.

The popping sound is like balloon popping. 

Is it spider coming loose or bottoming out?

I'll see if I can record the sound and upload later.

Klipsch SW10.jpg

Thanks.

I'm thinking it may be just too old technology to handle new songs' LFE signals.

Looks like there is not enough excursion on the surrounds to move that far in and out.

For example, this Indian hip pop song makes it pop even at 10 O'Clock using phone's headphone output to RCA cable input.

I used RCA input and then another RCA out to speakers.

However, I can play Katy Perry's Dark Horse pretty loud and it starts to slap/pop only going past 3 O'clock.

You can see in the video that it plays fine until I increase volume past 3 few times.

What do you think?

I have had a similar issue with my SW10-II.  I never happens with music content, only with movies.  In my case, I get one sharp pop with an extreme LFE signal. These are musical subs IMO, but probably never intended as a sub for LFE in movies. 

@Steve Phillips told me years ago I could solve the problem by replacing the driver with the woofer driver from the KLF-20 (K-1036-E I believe).  I never did and now the woofer drivers seem hard to find.  My research led me to the following link as a suitable replacement, but I have not tried one - https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/woofers/klipsch-1/mw-audio-mw-5010-10-inch-woofer/

I checked the spider and it looks good.

Someone at Klipsch factory dropped a square gasket inside.

BTW, there's not much stuffing inside, only a small piece of soft foam.

Will adding more stuffing polyfill help reduce the excursion?

IMG_20210301_145545003_klipsch_sw10ii.jpg