I need your opinion!!!

prodj101

well, here is a draft of what my next project is going to look like. Keep in mind, this is just a sketch I threw together, not in proportion and what not. So far, I am thinking, 3 way system, 1 12-15 inch woofer in each. for mids and mid bass, a 6 inchc, and for the tweeter, a 1 inch textile dome tweeter. The first person to guess what this was modeled after gets candy! (besies stephen, lol). now, anyways, heres where you guys come in. What finish, 12 or 15 inch woofer, cross over suggestions, what size mid, all that good stuff. I am open to anything.

post-10107-1381924580194_thumb.jpg

I can't put my finger on it but I saw a speaker on the web that was a similar shape.

As to what finish to put on them I'm very partial to the natural wood look(walnut JBLs mmm).

Although with MDF that would mean veneer14.gif

I personally prefer plywood cabinets over MDF, although my beloved JBLs are MDF.

MDF has the bad tendency to return to the sawdust from whence it came if you drop it, not that you should go dropping speakers3.gif

btw, was it the scan-speak drivers off of partsexpress that you used on your last project??

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 12/10/2002 6:37:33 PM prodj101 wrote:

haven't found a place that carries them yet. afterall, they do retail for 41,000$. Anyway, do you guys think this looks like it can be done well?
----------------

I am thinking that MDF may not be the best material for those angles. I think you would be better off with some good 'ol fashioned birch plywood like the heritage speakers are made of. Making tight corners on MDF normally, well the times I have tried it, causes chipping unless you have a really fresh and sharp blade. I think they even make special blades just for this. I still like plywood more.

BTW. Another speaker has that exact shape and can be found in one issue of Home Theater Mag or Stereophile. I think they even reviewed them.

Also, you may want to start working with some graphic programs to do your drawings like that. I made this one in about 5 minutes.

prodj.gif

It is not perfects, the angles and whatnot, but a easier way to look at it than a drawing that had a picture taken of it. Scanners are cheap my friend! Get a good 'ol EPSON, they are great.