Heresy II: You were right. Placement is key but still need woofer suggestions

Yes thats what one of my woofers look like. Mine is a 1986. The other one is black and has a tear in it. I am going to attempt to upload some pictures of the Tangent-500 interior. They have the k-24-k's too but they are black. Swapped one in my H2's last night and the original was much better for some reason. It must have something to do with that material

Hope these picture links work

All heresy drivers except the passive of coarse. 2 Loose foam things thrown in there. k-24-k's are black. no kevlar ish type material. In the process of adding extra glue and bracing to see if it is possible to get more out of them. Hunting down some interesting techniques that Moray James has tried and going to decide for myself. 

Anyway as you can see the crossover is a Heresy 2. Seen a post last night where a guy claimed he had crossovers stamped T-400/500. I would like to see a picture of that because from what I have gathered, they were all H2 networks. (for the 500's anyway)

No evidence the previous owner had ever opened them up as far as I could guess

Also signed "J S" on the top of cab. anyone know anything about that?

https://ibb.co/MVtbBPQ
https://ibb.co/StZGbmg
https://ibb.co/FDm4VWr
https://ibb.co/kS0fGQH
https://ibb.co/GWGv3fR
https://ibb.co/s5vdPbR
https://ibb.co/2nKtRFW

Edited by ummagumma-89

Here is what has been bugging me about the woofer:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 150 watts maximum continuous (750 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Three-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 1.5" (3.81cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver midrange with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 12" (30.48cm) front-firing, poly cone woofer and one 12" (30.48cm) front-firing, fiber-composite cone passive radiator

TWEETER: K-76-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 6000Hz

MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 700Hz

WOOFER: K-24-K 12" (30.48cm) Poly cone active / KD-13 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 40.5" (102.9cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm) x 14.6" (37.1cm)

WEIGHT: 51 lbs. (23.2kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Matte-finish Black vinyl

YEARS BUILT: 1991 - 1993

Note the Poly...
Can you show the K24K front?
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Note the Poly...
Can you show the K24K front?

Blacked out. No kevlar or whatever material the H2 had. Stamped k-24k on rear FYI that is a picture of it installed in my H2. Swapped woofer for the experiment. 

Besides Crites, What other woofers should I be looking at? Im at a crossroad of what to do. I am intrigued by the Super Heresy. 

I found 1 or 2 posts claiming the specs of crites woofer. from memory the sensitivity was 97db. Anyone know the specs?

https://ibb.co/0yG45fb

Edited by ummagumma-89

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Here is what has been bugging me about the woofer:

compression driver midrange with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 12" (30.48cm) front-firing, poly cone woofer and one 12" (30.48cm) front-firing

Dug this up on the H2

"They were exclusively used in Klipsch’s legendary sy II speakers, although due to their stellar reputation, many choose to incorporate these into many various speaker systems. This woofer has the reputation of lasting forever; the cone and surrounds are made of a thick and durable fiber-composite material that has no chance of deterioration. ___________________ Specifications Dimensions Effective diameter: 12”Outer Diameter: 12 ¼�Depth: 4 ¾� Weight 7 lbs each unpacked Impedance 8 Ohms"

There it is. It's not the same material. If I keep these tangents I will be considering an upgrade in the future.

• Thanks 1

Yes was saying last night about a k22 woofer came to mind. Then deleted it. It is 8 ohm and 24k is 4 ohm.

Anyway besides this, there is also a K-24-E woofer

Just trying to remember the poly cone. Polyurethane, polybutyl.

This was chase I was on. Good job and like those 500 cabinets. Clean inside and look like 3/4 baffle.

The woofer I had was smooth rubber like and the fainter passive:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heresy-k-22-k-or-k-24-k-whats-the-difference.596272/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes was saying last night about a k22 woofer came to mind. It is 8 ohm and 24k is 4 ohm.

Are you sure the k-24-k is 4 ohm? Everywhere I look it says it is 8 ohms. Will confirm on the original one tommorow, but certain it is 8

8 ohm hi's - 16 ohm mids - 8ohm woofer is what I understood

Edited by ummagumma-89

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Good fortune...

Being extremely new to the scene and attempting to understand how a crossover works, this is throwing a monkey wrench into everything. I was under the impression the k-28 could not be a replacement for me unless I changed the crossover. Forgive me, I am trying to figure this out

The weird thing is my brand new amplifier would not feed the tweeters the H2's came with. no sound. Thats when upon further inspection I noticed the tweeters were not original. they were 4 ohm. For the record, I acquired the H2's a month or so ago and amp about a week and a half ago. The tweeters worked on all 3 amplifiers I had laying around here untill the axr-100 came in. This amp prefers A and B together to be ALL 8 ohm speakers. So why would the other amplifiers work and this one wouldnt? Would that not mean the amp goes down to 4 ohms?

Any knowledge appreciated as I WANT replacement woofers for the H2's and if I can consider other impedances to "step up" the bass a bit, i'm all for it. Am aware of the cab size, but no harm in trying and not shy to consider a port like the Iv's and claudes super heresy

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ummagumma-89 said:

Are you sure the k-24-k is 4 ohm? Everywhere I look it says it is 8 ohms. Will confirm on the original one tommorow, but certain it is 8

8 ohm hi's - 16 ohm mids - 8ohm woofer is what I understood

Slight typo  error  , I'm pretty sure @billybob    meant to say ----K24 ---8ohms

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ummagumma-89 said:

Seen a post last night where a guy claimed he had crossovers stamped T-400/500.

I think the Member was confusing    the T400/T500  ----------with  the T4000/ T5000 -

Just now, RandyH000 said:

I think the Member was confusing    the T400/T500 ----------with  the T4000/ T5000--Crossover Klipsch Tangent T5000 - Espetacular

I assumed he was talking about the actual crossover itself. My memory is shot. I was researching info on the tangents and came across his comment. Might have been on another forum. 

Something I realized immediately is the importance of forums like this for knowledge. I have been digging deep into the possibilities with these speakers on posts that are up to 20 years old. Problem is, none of the pictures everyone shared exist anymore for my generation. This is why I am trying to learn/give any information at all for the next guy who is trying to figure something out. 

I appreciate all of you

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ummagumma-89 said:

I assumed he was talking about the actual crossover itself.

that's right , the crossover on the T5000 shows -------T4000/T5000 , The forum member mistook a T4000/T5000 Crossover for a T400/T500 crossover which is a  Heresy  II  -

Crossover Klipsch Tangent T5000 - Espetacular

I have Heresy IIs from '89 or so, and a good friend has a pair of Tangent 400s, but I don't think I've ever looked at the woofers in his.

They sound great, though, and also play lower than the HIIs. I had considered building new birch cabinets the size the the T-400s and moving my parts over. It would be a win, as the bass would be better, stronger cabs, and tweeters more at ear level.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, billybob said:

Randy, posted the short thread for the OP to read but, you would benefit greatly to understand.

Read and  party on.

I  bought a  brand new pair of K28  to use in Heresy 1 speakers   since I  wanted more bass ,   they are one of 2  spare sets along with the K42 Pro woofers  ,  it was @Daddy Dee   who gave me the tip almost  10 years ago ,   the K28-K does wonders in a Heresy 1-2 and 3-4   ---and by the way , these woofers are no longer easy to come by , klipsch pulled the woofer  from the H2 to H3  kits a few years ago  , and sold it separately

• Like 1