See my homemade kornerhorns!

horn player

Here is a picture of my first "DIY" kornerhorns that I finished in 1985. They contained Altec 511b/808-8A mids, Atlas tweeters, off shelf x-overs (500, 5K, 12 Db), and specially ordered Eminence woofers. I sold them in 1987 for 900. I bought them partially assembled from my former high school geometry teacher and Klipsch "mentor" when he moved out West. He had the shop teacher cut all the wood for him! I built the upper cabinets. We both now have Klipschorns, Heresys, Lascalas, etc. Paul in VA.

post-2584-1381924580542_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/10/2002 9:25:05 PM horn player wrote:

Do the files look like photographs or paintings?? I just scanned these pictures and they looked fine, albeit the strange yellow tint, until I uploaded them and from the website they look like paintings somebody made with a 6" wide brush! What did I do wrong?

----------------

They look like pictures to me. Just scanned from a yellow picture, but a picture none the less. Anyway, nice job! How would you say they compair to your KHorns? Were they compairable?

Kid #1 came along and my wife quit her job. In addition to selling these, I also sold some Cornwalls. It was a sad time, but the new screaming baby kept my mind off of them. LOL! Somehow, I managed to last a few years without Klipsch until 1996 when I got a single LaScala and then bought all new Klipsch components to build a second (600 worth!), which I never did. Next, a set of Belles which I sold, then a set of 1984 Klipschorns that I sold to make way for a corner fireplace in new house last year. Since then, two sets of Heresys, a set of Cornwalls and more Klipschorns. I'll never part with the latest Klipschorns!

----------------

On 12/11/2002 12:18:27 AM Jim Cornell wrote:

Nice and no affence but i like mine better LOL!

Why did you sell them anyway?

Jim

----------------

Hello Al,

I saw your pictures the other day - really nice setup! Your old Cornwall ended up being sold to a guy from Fairfax, VA that already had four in a system, so it was to be the center speaker. He was really impressed with how nice it looked. We carefully stuffed it into the back seat of his Park Avenue! The other Belle ended up being a center speaker with a set of Klipschorns up in Mass. The guy that bought it had to come down to MD to a wedding, so he didn't have to go far to get it. He was also really happy with it - I had replaced the stained veneer on top and it looked nice.

Three weeks ago, I picked up another set of Klipschorns ('74 models) that I found by accident and only had to drive 60 miles to get them! They grace my workshop, and have plenty of room to sing!

Paul

Oh, and to answer the question above asking how the Altec kornerhorns compared with Klipschorns - I never did an actual "A-B" test, but to my ears, they sounded great! My biggest blunder took place back in '94 or '95 when I traded two Altec 511b horns, 800 series drivers, Altec xovers and cast aluminum Altec 15" woofers, all in great condition for a worthless set of bookshelf speakers that I later ended up selling for 50.00. This was done for the sake of freeing up room in the small house I had at the time! I console myself by thinking of some of the great Klipsch deals I've come across recently!