What do you think about this old atlas sound drivers ?

Sorry for this, SpeedLimit, then I have to apologize as I did not know the  circumstances exactly. IF the drivers should have transformers you could perhaps put them out of the signal way and I see no hesitation just to try this drivers if they work and if they sound nice. 16 ohm is that what we always get from Atlas drivers of any generation in Klipsch speakers.

I am no expert but I think this transformers are used instead of an  low ohms output transformer of e.g. an tube amp, when signals have to travel over a longer distance like in a huge stadium if they still have centrally based amps. Then it is less loss to send higher voltage to the driver which finally transforms into current just before the voice coil.

Could you make a deal with the seller to try them out and if they do not work you could send them back? Is it like in a small town where all people know each other?  

• Like 1

Hi KT88

you know, the seller is ok to sell the pair to me for one hundred euros (so about 115-120 $) but the shipping costs are about 50 euros, something like 60-65 $.

I think i will take them. He has just to test the resistance (ohms) to say if the coils are not broken. He can't make other measures, he just has a simple ohmmeter.

In CC, they shall have something about 11,2-11,7 ohms, i think, if the coils are not cut.

To send them back, it will also cost me 50 euros.  I think i will keep them and begin a Atlas Sound Museum 😀

Hi SpeedLimit, that sounds reasonable, it is not a big risk regarding the price. If the coils measure correctly but the diaphragms are no longer good, you can always remove them later and photograph them to see if they fit and buy replacements from Michael Crites (also via ebay) or similar dealers. I don't think Atlas used different diaphragms but I don't know. 

One note.
At least the new PD5VT has a ceramic magnet as you can read on the homepage, that would be a disadvantage for me. I don't know how it was in the past (were there ceramic magnets existing at that time?).
Maybe someone who knows them well can help. Or you try in addition in other forums as well.

It's a pity that you have to pay so much customs and freight, because brand new PD5VH with Alnico like Klipsch is using again nowadays can be bought for about 330€ a pair e.g. in Germany.

2 hours ago, KT88 said:

I am no expert but I think this transformers are used instead of an  low ohms output transformer of e.g. an tube amp, when signals have to travel over a longer distance like in a huge stadium if they still have centrally based amps.

As an aside... they are used with 70volt systems, like paging systems. Easier that trying to calculated the load when installing a large number of speakers. The the tansformers will have taps to adjust the volume ( in steps... not fine adjustments).

Ceiling speakers in department stores would be another example. They usually cost more due to the added transformer, but it could be removed.

Ok KT88   (also sprechen sie deutsch - ich war 11 Jahre lang in Konstanz und dann noch einige Jahre in Reutlingen und Baden Baden) .. Mein Deutsch sprechen is nicht mehr sehr gut, aber ich kann noch viel verstehen. Seit ûber 30 Jahre habe ich nicht mehr deutsch gesprochen.  ( <= Sorry for american people, i was just speaking some german words with KT88 who lives in a beautiful city)

Marvel, you're right. Maybe they have a transformer inside. If so, I'll remove it. Sometimes in Europe, the sound is broadcast to 100 volts on the wire, then the transformer down for the speaker. It is used for a long length of wire for less loss.  I hope you understand what i am explaining .. my american spoken is very very poor, i am so sorry.

For the speakers, I will tell you all, if the business is done with the seller, if these speakers are good or not.

Perhaps they will have an alnico magnet, it could be in the years when it was used to increase the flow in the gap (space between the coil and the magnet).

So let wait and see

• Like 1