HK 525 or Dennon 3803 ???

wingnutt

Wingnut,

The Denon 3803 has video up conversion,i.e., it takes S-video and composite (RCA) cables and converts them to component so that you do not have to switch video inputs every time you change video sources.

On the other hand, the HK has a very good amp and better bass managment. Hence, choose the features that appeal the most to you, but give them a listen first.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I bought myself a 3803 for Christmas last year and I am throughly pleased with it. It feeds my LaScalas (ALK crossovers)with amazing clarity and detail. I searched around and negotiated an $899 price for it at a local dealer. It uses top quality Burr-Brown components and has a "pure direct" 2 channel mode that lets the blues melt your heart.

But, hey, hearing is believing. Check out both, because I don't think you can go wrong either way.

FYI... from HT Form............

When I was at my local Tweeter last night, I asked the manager if there were any good deals on receivers. One of my buddies is looking for one, and I thought that I would do a little fact finding for him. The manager of the store told me that they purchased a number of units from Sears that were made by Denon. These units are the same as the 3802, but have a different face plate on them, and the number is AVR 1082. This is a $1200 unit that they are selling for $699. He said that they have quite a few, and they have been distributed to many of the locations. I have not seen the unit, but the manager says it is the best deal he had on A/V receivers.

I hope someone on this forum can capitalize on this deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I too, struggled for months trying to make the right choice, a lot of research, etc. I chose the 3803, because my #1 priority was primarily not to take a step backwards with 2-channel stereo listening, which means for me a good pre-amp section. I'm however, using an Adcom 3-channel (200 X 3) for the fronts, (KSP-400's) and I am very pleased with the Pure Direct Stereo listening, and equally impressed with the Surround modes. (To be fair, I did use the internal amps first, and was impressed, I just prefer My Adcom on the fronts). It's built well and very flexible with inputs/outputs and good user preference adjustments and video up-conversion, (for those that are in a position to take advantage). It also has an unusually good FM section. (by today's standards) I'm satisfied with the remote, but the user manual is a bit frustrating at times. They obviously put emphases on R&D for the AVR, (good) but didn't spring for a good translation program during the manual project. Overall, though, Klipsch like's Dennon, and so do I.

Good luck and happy listening!