hahaha, you've got to see this!!!

prodj101

Yeah, I saw that. What am I supposed to do if I wanted to get a pair- jump in my trustly little POS Mazda pickup truck and drive to the distro center and pick them up? Yeah, I also wondered about that 1" mid-range. Isn't midranges supposed to be around 3 or 4 inches, even with a horn? But still, I'd be willing to bet those speakers do sound much better than anything Bose.

I think you can still get them from Best Buy. The reason they put that is because there is a limited availability. To ship them from the warehouse to every Best Buy so that you could order them and pick them up from the Best Buy (so you don't have shipping charges) would be too costly. But, if your local Best Buy has some in stock, you can pick them up there by going in person to purchase the instock item.

Nothing wrong with paper woofers. That's exactly what you'll find on all Khorns, Belles, Cornwalls, Heresy's, La Scalas, Chorus, Forte, etc. The 1" midrange is a horn driver, not a "woofer".

Wharfedale is actually a Brittish company (at least I think it still is). They have been around for a while. The sensitivity is low because they also employ direct radiators. The horns need to be toned down so that the direct radiators can keep up with them -- not unlike what is done on Cornwalls and Heresy's (it's the reason these speakers don't have the sensitivity of the fully horn-loaded speakers such as the Khorn, Belle, and La Scala). Actually, it's kinda neat to see Wharfedale using horns.

Note the description:

"Handwound, massively oversized voice coils for high efficiency and exceptional power handling."

Handwound? Maybe in a workshop of handicapped persons with iron wire for being cheaper? High efficiency = 91 dB? Exceptional power handling = maximum power-handling capacity 200W? 14.gif

Bernd

Of course the midrange driver is 1". The KLF 20's and 30's each have a 1.5" midrange driver. Obviously, all of the midranges mentioned are hornloaded, that's the difference. As for Warfedale, they are a well respected speaker company. I wouldn't say that these are the best they offer, but the certainly should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Bose.