Strengthening La Scala cabinet?

Dave MacKay

So after reading through this thread I wasn't sure which way I was going to go as far as stiffening up the sides of the base bin. These are 1980 industrial LaScalas. As you can see by the pic I painted these cabinets with Duratex. At this point I don't want to add panels to the side it's a lot more work I could make the fins for inside the base bin but according to this thread it creates other issues and then at the end of this thread I read about the trim. I went out and bought this heavy duty piece of 1/8" thick aluminum channel and think it would do a fantastic job stiffening the outer lip Edge of both sides of the bass bin. Question is should I just do the base bin or do the whole Outer Edge of the cabinet. I think it would spiff up the cabinet and add a little detail to just a blend black cabinet but at the same time I'm hoping it would kill any resonance you get from the base bin. Any opinions out there?

0502231442_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tom Bird said:

So after reading through this thread I wasn't sure which way I was going to go as far as stiffening up the sides of the base bin. These are 1980 industrial LaScalas. As you can see by the pic I painted these cabinets with Duratex. At this point I don't want to add panels to the side it's a lot more work I could make the fins for inside the base bin but according to this thread it creates other issues and then at the end of this thread I read about the trim. I went out and bought this heavy duty piece of 1/8" thick aluminum channel and think it would do a fantastic job stiffening the outer lip Edge of both sides of the bass bin. Question is should I just do the base bin or do the whole Outer Edge of the cabinet. I think it would spiff up the cabinet and add a little detail to just a blend black cabinet but at the same time I'm hoping it would kill any resonance you get from the base bin. Any opinions out there?

0502231442_HDR.jpg

what an incredible wall of sound!  must be quite the listening/viewing experience!  looks awesome.

• Like 1