heresy

gergkos

IMHO, the cost spent compared to any real improvement will be nil...just leave em alone and enjoy em as they are! You may well find that there is a better amplification out there for them, though, that will bring out more punch from their bottom end...money aimed in that direction is a better bet, IMHO! You might ask Justin(justin_tx_16) or Josh (Invidiosulus)what they have each discovered about the Heresy's capacity for bass reproduction with THEIR current amplification items!

Yep, if you want lower bass, you will need a good subwoofer. You aren't going to get significantly lower bass out of the Heresy box. If you have really old Heresys, replacing the woofers with K-24s will get you a bit more Xmax so you can go louder at low frequencies before reaching mechanical limits. But, if you get a sub and cross over to it at 100 Hz, you won't need to do this anyway.

Although I agree that there is only so much bass you can get out of a Heresy, there is also another factor...that being the amplification...some amplification just does a better job of squeezing the most out of a speaker there is in it!! That is MY point!

It may seem hard to believe, but it is the truth!

Regarding your search for replacement woofers for your Heresy speakers, check out the address below.....

http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/specials.htm

"Klipsch Heresy 12" Custom Woofer: Finally back in stock!!! Our own custom upgrade woofer for the classic Klipsch Heresy speaker. Manufactured using the same cone and frame as the stock part, but with an extra long voice coil to allow for a longer throw and consequently lower distortion on deep bass passages the make the stock woofer have a fit. This is a direct drop-in replacement for both the Heresy 1 and 2, no cabinet or crossover changes required. This woofer is also VERY popular to use as a tone-matching add-on sub for any Klipsch system. With a proper sized vented cabinet these woofers are capable of producing usable bass down to the low 30's while still maintaining very good efficiency. sale extended, just $79 each"

Good luck!

Dave in Nashville

I consider the Layne Audio woofers a waste of money. IF you actually get anything out of using them, the cost of them is about half the price of another pair of good used Heresys, so why not just go ahead and buy another pair of Heresys to begin with and double your listening enjoyment? As for their bigtime statement about THEIR woofers having a longer voice coil and allowing for more cone excursion...THAT is maybe true, BUT IS A NON-ISSUE...since the sealed cabinet of the Heresy doesn't allow for much excursion to begin with! That is the entire reason why the woofer IN THE HERESY is ALREADY a short excursion one!! From what I have seen of Layne audio, they push their woofers(2x$79=$158+s/h=circa $180+), then explain how much better performance you can get by building a pair of their "design upgrade ported Heresy" cabinets in order to take advantage of the extra excursion their woofers provide(previous $180+ cost of cabinets), then they start in on their crossovers for these(even more money), then they get on how their horn drivers are so much better(even more money), etc....ALL A BUNCH OF MARKETING SNAKE-OIL!! By the time you do everything they suggest, you don't even HAVE Heresys anymore, and you could have upgraded to a NICE pair of used Cornwalls for the money it cost you!!...and get a helluva lot more bass in the process!!

Matter of fact, for JUST what you can get for the Heresys ALONE on the market, with the addition of the money you are gonna spend for those Layne woofers, you can get a pair of Cornwalls!!

But...hey...it's YOUR money...spend it how YOU see fit!!

Dave..

I know that...but it seems that some folks just don't get it when they get into all of this "upgrade-itis" hoopla! Because of the design of the Heresy to begin with, there is only so much that you can get out of it...and a woofer "upgrade" isn't gonna give you anything more...but an amplifier that is "bass-friendly" will!...not ALOT more, but SOME...just ask Justin and Josh(Invidiosulus).

Wasting money on so-called "woofer upgrades" for the Heresy is akin to throwing the money out the window of your car...there just isn't enough(if any) improvement that CAN be made to them in that arena!!

Yer much better off just getting some Cornwalls, if the Heresy isn't giving you the bass you want! And that investment definitely WILL add more bass! No doubts about it!!

The experience I've had with my Heresy speakers (1981 Heresy I) is that finding the correct woofer to match the two horns AND work with the resonant volumes of the box AND work correctly with the crossover is a very difficult matter. I have long heard an ugly/annoying vibration around 100hz in the Heresy. Replacing the driver may have cured the ugly 100hz sound only to introduce a number of other compromises that only made the unit sound worse. Adding a 200 watt Rotel amp to the system only added to the +/-100 hz annoyance. Same for 100 and 200 watt Adcom amps I have tried. NAD 35watt (85 watt peak) was darker sounding, but took some from the airiness of the sound of the upper end.

Best answer I have for you is to go out and find a subwoofer that you like the sound of (if you can find a dealer who will loan it to you for a few days for in home testing, all the better), and use that with your Heresys. Though my crossovers are set to 90hz, the loading at the 100 hz area (geeze, were not talking a great deal of pitch change between the two here) is different enough so that the speaker is much sweeter sounding.

I bought my Klipsch KSW10 sub with the intention to fill out the lower end of the spectrum (originally for my B&W 602s, then I tried mating it with my Heresys that had been in mothballs for a while). KSW 10 is not a great sounding sub...don't bother with it. Amazingly, the Klipsch RP-3 speaker's sub pairs nicely with the Heresy, but I don't reccommend buying the RP3 just for its sub.

It has never been clear to me if the Layne Audio "Heresy Replacement" woofer was for the Heresy I or the Heresy II. I believe the Heresy II to have a 12" woofer, and I know my Heresy I has a 10" (diameter) woofer (contrary to what this website's specifications say for my speaker). Can someone tell me if there is some strange method of measuring a woofer that would cause Klipsch to list the Heresy I woofer as a 12" instead of 10" woofer? Does someone who has both models want to measure the woofer on each and let me know what the difference is? I'm just curious.

Heresy woofers are 12" ones. The measurement is NOT the OD of the cone, it is the OD of the basket(actually it is the diameter between mounting points on the basket flange). The opening on the motorboard for the woofer on versions that have the woofer mounted to the REAR of the motorboard is smaller than 12", though...more like 10-3/8"...but the actual woofer is a 12" one(even though its actual cone diameter is only a bit over 10"). The opening in this manner allows full forward projection from the cone, and you should be able to see a bit of the cone surround showing around the inside edge of the opening.

Wow, thans for all the replies! I think I,m going to leave them the way they are. I thought that upgrading to a heresy 2 woofer would make some difference but I dont think I want to mess with them.b After all they are awsome sounding speakers. By the way I do have a 15" kicker solo I am using with a Dbx BX-3 amp running it. Awsome!!!! I think I'm going to save me money for the Klipsch Belles I've been dreaming about.... Again Thanke all!!!!!!!!!!16.gif

If your Heresys are not Heresy II models to begin with, then the Heresy II woofer will not mate properly to them. The Heresy II has all of its horns/woofer mounted from its front, using differences in mounting flanges than those used on the previous Heresy models where these parts were mounted from the rear...not only that, but the sealing gasket on that flange of the woofer is on the opposite side, too! So in order to replace woofers on the model previous to the Heresy II, you have to order the proper woofer for that model.

All the K24s I have seen have a gasket on the front that will allow for rear mounting. And IIRC sometime ago one of the moderators posted that the K24 was the replacement woofer offered by Klipsch for the Heresy and that it was the same as the K22. In any case, Klipch will have an appropriate replacement, whatever they call it.