A comedy of errors...

Deang

I just pulled the ad for the Apollos.

The downside of working 64 hours a week is that when you finally do have time to play around with your equipment -- you're not always in the best frame of mind. Nothing more dangerous than trying to do something that requires some care when you're plain exhausted.

Evidently, when I got the Scott and took it upstairs to give it a listen, and then compare it to the Apollos (before the Heresies showed up), I somehow forgot the peculiarity regarding the AE-3's outputs.

Last night, the Apollos took a leap forward.

I compared again with the Scott, and the Scott still sounds very sweet, holding it's own very well against the Apollos -- but there is certainly more distance between them now then there was.

I guess it's important to put the cables on the correct binding posts.

Dean,

You need to let these Amps settle in and give them weeks to settle into your brain. All this switching equipment around is going to burn you out and these harsh decisions are going to come back to haunt you. Its like my purchase of the MMF-7 Turn Table while I find it to be a small improvement over my other table its a improvement that I don't want to give up. Is it worth the extra bucks ...... Well I think there over charging for this table and that this is true in almost everything audio or any hobby !! I truely believe that all the companies selling this stuff have unbelievable mark ups like 300% by the time it reaches us the comsumer. Wire and Interconnectors would be the extreme of this !!

Craig

Well, OTHO, the Welborne stuff is really a great value when you compare it to comparable stuff. I found some amps very similiar to the Apollos for $10,000 a pair. Yeah right, gonna run out and buy those right away.

The only time I get burnt out comparing stuff is when something seems out of place and I can't figure out why. I ran into that with the SuperAmp, and it made me nuts.

One of the problems with the Music Metre Silvers is that there are four individual cables, and each is identical to the other. The ends are not color coded. This, coupled with the fact that the AE-3's outputs are wired in such a way that it requires the cables to be reveresed at the amps terminals -- makes it rather easy to screw up. The speakers were NOT out of phase because of the mistake -- but the polarity was incorrect, and it did make a difference.

Sounds like the AE-3 uses Phase Inverting. Full fidelity and stereo imaging can only be achieved by reversing the positive and negative connections which results in the system providing a signal in Absolute Phase to the speakers.

It's important that a manufacturer provide absolute phase information for connecting their product. In most cases it's a simple matter to reverse the wires at each speaker. AI & Conrad-Johnson employ Phase Inverting on several of their Preamps too. They state eliminating an additional stage from the signal path provides improvements?