One Source- Two Systems

JTMiller01

I am interested in purchasing a pair of Klipsch RF-7 speakers for use in a living room. They would be placed in the corners on the short wall with furniture facing the short wall. These speakers would be used primarily for music, not in a surround setting. I am not planning to use a subwoofer in this room at this time. I would like to power these speakers from a Onkyo DR-C500 surround receiver/DVD player located in another room (den). I would also like to use this receiver to power a Bose acoustimass 15 system in the den. My questions are (1) can I do this, (2) do I need a speaker switching box to accomodate both speaker systems, and (3) Would I be able to play both sets of speakers at reasonable volumes together without problems. The Klipsch speakers would be set up as stereo, and the Bose system would be 5.1.

Just a little warning, BOSE is a very dirty word around here! Personally, I like the sound of the 901's (they sound really good for $1300 new or about $400 used a pair, as long as you don't mind re-foaming) but just wish that they would fire all 9 speakers forward instead of killing the imaging with their "direct reflecting" witchcraft. When I was a kid and grew up around my stepfather's 601's I never knew what imaging was until I bough a set of JBL's.

Anyway, off of the BOSE stuff. Your receiver should have a set of speaker outputs for another "zone" you can hook the Klipsch up to these. As far as if the amp can handle it if both speakers are on at the same time, check to see if the amp can handle a 4 ohm load. if all of your speakers are 8 ohms, you should be safe (still don't blast it). If you don't have a second zone, you could add a switching box, but it might be cheaper to buy a second used receiver.

Chris

Jack,

...God and I thought what I was doing and have planned for the future was complex! Considering the holidays and my state of mind at present--I will have to get back to you on this one. Quickly though, the answers (although incomplete): Yes it is possible, Yes you will need a speaker/amp switch if you want individual control for each room and I will get back to you with particular recomendations and suppliers for the specific componentry needed. I am in the middle of designing a system for a 1.2 Mil. facility that must include: multi-media, inside and outside speakers and mics, classroom P.A., remote control for many rooms, etc.,etc....My Brain is a mess.

Merry Christmas,

Cornwaller

You have 2 sets of main speaker terminals on the back of the DR-C500. A & B. So you should be able to control both sets of speakers.

Now all we have to do is replace those Bo$e 'speakers'.9.gif

I reserve the right to bash Bose as I am a victim...I mean former owner.