Anyone currently use or have used a MFW-15 sub?

Iteachstem

I recently picked up an AV123 MFW-15 sub.  Like almost all of them, the sub amp made the famous buzz!  So, I removed the amp and now I'm looking at potentially upgrading the driver.  The only reason I'm considering modifying this sub is because it is just beautiful! (Needs a little sanding and refinish!) The veneer work on it is awesome and the build quality is great! 

IMG_1858.jpg.4347d2cfcb2abfb1396aba9cf1431a13.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg.56179cbc031c47d991c0afe5402ca656.jpg

Hello all,

I know they have drop in amps available for almost $500, ( https://seatonsound.net/product/mfw-15-mk2-amp/ ) but I think I would rather just use one of my Crown K2's to power it.  I'm really looking for 15" driver recommendations.  From the external dimensions (18x22x24) I'm guessing the internal volume is around 4 cubic feet.

I've used these before in my sealed subs for my 2.2 music system and I enjoy them very much, however, I don't know if they will perform as well with the vented enclosure. (I read one instance where someone tried this and loved it)  https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RSS390HF-4-15-Reference-HF-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-468

I just saw these, and they look like they may be a better fit for the vented enclosure... but a lot more $.  Also, they are brand new, so no long term performance info yet.   https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RSS390HE-22-15-Reference-Series-High-Excursion-Subwoofer-22-ohm-295-292

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Nothing is wrong with the driver.  It's actually in perfect condition.  I'm always tinkering and trying to find ways to improve what I have (usually on a budget, as I'm a teacher)  So, I go down the rabbit hole online to find out what other people have done.

I have read a post on forums were they replaced the driver with "improved" results.  Now what that means, I don't know, as that is very subjective.  Maybe they just say it was an improvement to justify their expenditures!!!  Who knows?  However, when many people say they realized improvements with upgrades, there is usually something to that.  

I am a person who likes to actually hear an improvement, not just a difference.  I'm sure some improvements might be measurable with super awesome equipment (like the difference between a $10 run of speaker cable and a $1000 run of speaker cable.... sure, there may be a measurable difference on equipment, but is there really an audible difference.... or is it more of a placebo effect to justify the $$$ spent?!?!?! ...not to open a can of worms about cables, etc.)

So, to make the long story even longer, I was looking to see if anyone has this sub and done any mods to it before I blindly jump in.

p.s. When using a ported sub (I don't often use them) I always cut 20hz and below...usually at a 24dB slope.  I learned that trick when I used to DJ starting way back in college... I could get a lot more spl's out of my 18" subs when I cut them off at 40hz with a 12db slope... and nobody ever came over to me and complained about a lack of bass! (Usually it was a complaint about a lack of booze!)

12 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Nothing is wrong with the driver.  It's actually in perfect condition. 

Considering the cabinet was designed and tuned for that specific woofer I'd leave it in place although I do have to admit that Dayton HE-22-15 driver sure looks impressive. I like the 4.5cuft cabinet with 18" passive recommendation..  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I listed the OEM driver for sale.  I think if it doesn't sell by the time I'm done refinishing the cabinet, then I will put it right back in and call it a day!  If it sells, then I will use that to offset the cost of that HE-22-15 driver and see what that's all about.  I did notice the passive radiator enclosure recommendation as well! I have built many speakers over the years, but I never built any with passive radiators, mainly for 3 reasons. 

1.There was a lack of clear info on cabinet volume, weights, etc. back when I was building a lot more speakers.

2. Cost and availability when I was building a lot of speakers - High school and College... think late 80's and well into the 90's Hmm, should I add a passive radiator or should I buy many cases of beer!?!?!

3.Later on, I never liked the way my Klipsch sw-12's and sw-15's with PR's  blended with my Forte II's, also with PR's.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 6:58 PM, Iteachstem said:

I recently picked up an AV123 MFW-15 sub.  Like almost all of them, the sub amp made the famous buzz!  So, I removed the amp and now I'm looking at potentially upgrading the driver.  The only reason I'm considering modifying this sub is because it is just beautiful! (Needs a little sanding and refinish!) The veneer work on it is awesome and the build quality is great! 

IMG_1858.jpg.4347d2cfcb2abfb1396aba9cf1431a13.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg.56179cbc031c47d991c0afe5402ca656.jpg

Hello all,

I know they have drop in amps available for almost $500, ( https://seatonsound.net/product/mfw-15-mk2-amp/ ) but I think I would rather just use one of my Crown K2's to power it.  I'm really looking for 15" driver recommendations.  From the external dimensions (18x22x24) I'm guessing the internal volume is around 4 cubic feet.

I've used these before in my sealed subs for my 2.2 music system and I enjoy them very much, however, I don't know if they will perform as well with the vented enclosure. (I read one instance where someone tried this and loved it)  https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RSS390HF-4-15-Reference-HF-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-468

I just saw these, and they look like they may be a better fit for the vented enclosure... but a lot more $.  Also, they are brand new, so no long term performance info yet.   https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RSS390HE-22-15-Reference-Series-High-Excursion-Subwoofer-22-ohm-295-292

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

That is a great looking sub , and supposedly a damn good one. That speaker box and it’s port tuning have  been carefully matched  to that driver .  Thiele/Small ,  parameters should be used when designing or modifying  🤓

Edited by Tom05