KG4 Tweeter Identification

DaveHo

Hi all.  Recently picked up a nice pair of kg4's.  Upon cracking them open, I was pleasantly surprised to find the crossovers have been recapped with Sonicaps, which the seller made no mention of.  So, naturally, I started hoping the tweeters have been updated with Crites diaphragms.  However, I think the tweeter diaphragms are original, but can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

PXL_20220102_195306380.jpg

• Like 1

They sound pretty good.  I've had Forte II's before, and these are a little less lively than I expected, hence wondering if the tweets are stock.

Another question if I may.  When pushing on the passive, how long should I expect it to take for the woofers to return?  I'm used to Polk's, and these kg4's don't stay out nearly as long, so I'm wondering if the cabinets have an air leak.

Thanks for any input!

Dave

• Like 1

Yes the KG4 has a different sound signature and specs of course, than the Forte 2s for sure. If both passives have no holes in them, they should both be about same regarding time.

Unless something glaring, would presume no air leaks. 

Since passives have been out for crossover refresh, would check screws on all, front and back to make certain they are all tight.

Should have decent sounding bass.

Tweeter diaphragm ID will leave to others for now.

9 hours ago, DaveHo said:

Hi all.  Recently picked up a nice pair of kg4's.  Upon cracking them open, I was pleasantly surprised to find the crossovers have been recapped with Sonicaps, which the seller made no mention of.  So, naturally, I started hoping the tweeters have been updated with Crites diaphragms.  However, I think the tweeter diaphragms are original, but can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

the Best quality diaphragm is klipsch since klipsch manufactures the Kg4 tweeter , let's no get carried away either with Sonicaps , they sound nothing like klipsch original capacitors from @JEM Performance  and sadly , your speakers no longer sound like klipsch speakers -

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DaveHo said:

Thanks!

the diaphram is shown in the pic  .   those tweeters are not titanium, they would look like bright shiny metal if they were, those look like original diaphragms. 

Crites products are not "inferior" at all, that is a subjective opinion. without getting carried away with the whole klipsch authorized thing again, there is nothing wrong with crites products, while the original parts in klipsch speakers are fine for most, there are improved products crites sells like his other tweeters & A55g mids etc.  stock crossovers are fine unless the capacitors age & fall out of spec, then they should be replaced with something of your choice, like sonicaps or any other quality brand including the jem ones. Until just recently there were no klipsch authorized capacitors to buy & countless people would use other brands with excellent results as long as the original values were maintained, i'm sure theres alot more involved with capacitors & some others on here can get into more detail about if you wish, but there are probably 10s of thousands or more of satisfied happy customers using crites products & others. 

as far as the titanium diaphragms go, most people like them & say they made an improvement over the originals, but as with anything in this hobby, each person likes different things & hears different so if you want to try them yourself its well worth the ~$60, if you dont like them you can easily resell them. klipsch are great speakers in stock form but each one has had changes & revisions as time went on for a reason   , to improve them   ,      just because they arent 100% original isnt always a bad thing, almost anything can be improved over 100% stock form. 

• Like 1