But seriously, how much power for KLF 20?

Klipschtastic

I'm confused about how much power my KLF 20s could actually benefit from.  Some say these are efficient enough to play loud with 1 watt because they are so efficient.  Even if they are actually more like 92db efficiency wouldn't they theoretically play at 92db with 1 watt except for transient responses requiring more?  Some people say they need like 200watts to open up.  But when would they actually be using that power?  At ear bleading 100db plus volumes? I'm interested in getting the most punch at a reasonable 85 db and below for 90 percent of my listening.  I have a Marantz pm7000n right now and it seems to be doing a great job.  I just sometimes wonder what high powered Rotel for example with 180 watts would do to the low end when the bass is boosted to plus 6db on the eq and I'm playing some bass guitar heavy sludgy rock.  Would it actually draw more power than the 60 watt Marantz can provide and add more punch and clarity down low?  I like my amp, seems fine, sounds great, just can't help but wonder.

Thanks

Jon

My experience is a minimal 25 clean watts, preferable class A, when using SS even with 92db rating. More will not hurt. Your Marantz should be more then enough power. Then all amplifiers sound slightly different from each other so the Rotel may or may not sound better but doubtful if more power is going to be contributing factor. 

distortion  is the problem with low wattage amplifiers  no matter whether SS or Tubes , the lower the wattage , the higher the distortion creeps up to distort  the sound quality , klipsch speakers require clean power from an Amplifier with high damping factor   

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

When I was under powering the klf 20s.  50wpc. The low end just wasn't there.  Not even a whisper. 

I switched to an old school Sony with 150wpc. 

The difference was night and day.  I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure they benefit from biamping. 

I don't know what the wattage limit is.  But you will hear it when it's getting in the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:26 AM, dbcooper said:

I can tell you I had a pair of KLF30s that I used with a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum(100wpc tube integrated) the combination was nothing short of what it would take 15 to 20k to buy new today. Should have never parted with either one of them. 

I want to be buried with mine.  Never selling!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Got_Horns said:

When I was under powering the klf 20s.  50wpc. The low end just wasn't there.  Not even a whisper. 

I switched to an old school Sony with 150wpc. 

The difference was night and day.  I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure they benefit from biamping. 

I don't know what the wattage limit is.  But you will hear it when it's getting in the sweet spot. 

Has more to do with the design of the amplifier rather than from more power. I've seen a 5 watt amplifier have more and better bass than a high power SS amp. The power supply section of an amplifier has a lot to do with how strong your bass is going to be. By the way that is the most expensive part of the amplifier build and where cost cuts typically happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Has more to do with the design of the amplifier rather than from more power. I've seen a 5 watt amplifier have more and better bass than a high power SS amp. The power supply section of an amplifier has a lot to do with how strong your bass is going to be. By the way that is the most expensive part of the amplifier build and where cost cuts typically happen.

Well the 50wpc was an pioneer avr and the 150 a Sony avr receiver.  Wasn't tube vs SS.  Was just pointing out the klfs need power.  How much???  Dunno.

And that they sound like poop underpowered.  Which at first, I thought the speakers were broken and was disappointed with them. 

Now they sing with no sub in sight. 

Have been curious about tube amps for so many years. Hoping this works as it is supposed to. A very well thought of American outfit too. Apparently it will be ready and delivered sometime this summer. Will be attached to our Chorus II's.  Will post how it goes after having test drove it awhile..👍 Our 140 watt per channel ss receiver doesn't come anywhere close to needing this much power. Efficient speakers were designed to play low 'power' tube equipment at first..and Klipsch had, and still has this down to a fine art. This amp will be 2.3 watts a side.  and.......what Henry posted is on target.🎯

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 11-45-55 SE84UFO2 DECWARE Select Zen Triode Amplifier.png

• Like 3