Alrighty MH, turntables one more time!

anarchist

Ok,

The two channel system has been up and running for a little time now and I have been enjoying my turntable...but I wanted to buy a new cartridge for it and before I have even done so, it appears that the turntable decides quite frequently it is done playing and returns the arm back to the home position. This irritates me to no end and requires I restart the table multiple times to finish the album - not always but I can't find a logical explanation on why or when it will occur.

Therefore I am contemplating a new table and request some assistance or pointers. To me, a neophyte, a table is a table and $2K for a table begs the question of one's sanity.

I have done some reading (here and elsewhere) and it seems that a modified RB250 arm is the cat's meow. I would likely go for that or maybe a stock arm and later upgrade it. Would like opinions on either option. Secondly, the arm would obviously need to be on a table. What makes a good table? How much difference is there between Rega 2 and Rega 3. Is either a good option? Is there a better one - read less expensive? Are there any good options our there that come in kit form?

Certainly I have lots of questions and want to make a good choice so all your input is welcome and I am not locked into a RB250. In fact, I am not locked into any decision whatsoever other than I will not spend anywhere close to a grand on a turntable. :) After all, MH has already made fun of my high-fallutin Sony Playstation CD Player and I have to upgrade that as well.

What about this one? Please read as a question on this turntable in general for inexperienced highend TT users and as a question specific to this auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

ViewItem&category=3283&item=1947350421

The Linn Sondek LP 12 ... This early 80's gem has been upgraded with the Origin Live DC Motor Kit including a superb motor, regulator board (that is superior to Lingo) and power transformer. Also just fitted with a new Origin Live OL1 fully modified Rega arm (as an authorized dealer for Origin the motor kit & arm carry a full 2 year warranty).

Fair enough. What you might try if you feel up to it is something I might have recommended right from the start, and something that would probably be better for your table sonically as well as fix the problem without a doubt. Unfortunately, since your table is an early linear tracking design, I am not sure how this will be achieved. But on almost all tables I have modified or messed with over the years, removing all the automatic/semi-automatic/auto start/stop machinery nearly always was an improvement. Yes, you now have to move the arm on your own, both on and off the table, remembering to pick up the cartridge on conclusion, but it's worth it. On your machine, this might be a bit problematic, however. It might be worth looking into. Remove the platter before you turn the beast over, however!

As for a TT option, Ken made a nice suggestion, but one I dont know if it's the easiest for the occasional vinyl user. I have to admit, I have come to a newfound respect for the Linn LP-12 after comparing it to a $3000 Progressive-Engineering "The Turntable". Although I have achieved some excellent results with the PE table, a STATE OF The ART table and one I end up using almost 90% of the time, I have realized I also truly love the soul and musicality of the Linn LP-12. Despite the naysayers and people saying turntables have come along way in the last 20 years, I still think the Linn LP-12 is a great table. It gets the music right. I will say the Progressive-Engineering turntable is definitely the most well-built piece of gear in my system. The ease of use of this table is without peer and it's hard to go back to the finicky Linn.

The problem is the LP-12 is pretty hard to setup per say and it's best to have a Linn dealer somewhere within 50 miles or so to walk you through the balancing although there are now some documents online to help. The table has one of the best platters and bearings around. And is a three spring design that does not to be balanced correctly. But when working right, it is one of my favorite tables bar none. The ebay Linn LP-12 that Ken pointed to will be a bit high and is a pretty modified option. I am not sure of the reserve but I can hedge a bet it's getting out of your range. If you can find a mid 80s Valhalla Linn LP-12 in good condition with a nice arm, I really could recommend it. But it's not turnkey like many of the later tables.

What actually IS your price range here? What is the outside amount you would pay for a table, arm, and cartridge? The two Rega tables really standout because of their arms. And these arms modified can really scale some heights. I have actually liked the arms more than the tables although both the Rega Planar 2 and Planar 3 offer buttoned up sound and are about as easy to use as possible. The three has the RB-300 arm and the better platter. Either if found at a good price offer a solid option. Another is the VPI HW-19 Jr. Another is the Linn LP-12 Valhalla, one of my favorites as outlined above. A used Thorens like the TD-125mkII is nice of in good condition and with a better arm.

I like fully manual, belt drive tables to start off, although there are a few direct drive tables that can sound ok. By and large, belt drive puts some distance between the motor and the bearing/platter a good thing.

So what is your price range?

kh

Hi MH,

You are correct, the above referenced turntable is heading out of my range. I am figuring I want to spend no more than $4 - $5 hundred on one. Bear in mind the budget works a couple of ways - initial outlay which is what the wife will look at and upgrade monies which the wife will never know about. I browsed over on Audiogon and saw some Rega P2's in the couple hundred dollar range but really I look at them and don't see what they offer besides the arm? I like the Thorens and their pretty wood bases but don't know anything about their arms and/or whether I could stick a Origin modified RB250 on it.

On a sidenote - my Eico has begun making this funny sound. Kind of like a whooshing that comes and goes from the one channel. It is not affected by volume. It might be related to the turntable but am not sure because I have not listened to anything but it for the last few weeks. Any thoughts off the top of your head - it is irritating because this Eico was perfectly quiet before.

As another sidenote, I have learned about suspension on turntables. Didn't get this before but on certain music there was this kind of low frequency hum that was going on, pretty friggin loud - put the turntable up in the air and that sound completely disappeared. Thought to myself, wow, I learned something, not exactly sure what I learned but I learned it anyways.

Do the Leo thing and clean all the tube sockets with Deoxit contact cleaner (cleaner also available from Radio Shack for $7.99). But sure to let it dry out before turning on again. There is also the possibility of a tube going bad but it sounds more like connection problems. Either way, I dont suspect it is serious. Hit the switches and pots if you can as well.

On the turntable front, Not a lot going on in Audiogon at the moment. I'll keep an eye out for you, though. Did you take a look at your auto return/stop mechanism on that Linear tracking table?

kh

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang....I am still a vinyl kind of audiophile and I have a Dual 510 belt drive that I have had since 1977. I just recently rehabbed it (Ortofon cart, belt, AR cables, etc) but I am getting alot of feedback whenever volume pushes about 35 -40 percent. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Crash,

Kelly's probably gonna get in my face for this, but I might recommend one of the cheaper Music Hall TT's. You can get a new one for $250.00-300.00, ready to roll. Used, off the internet (eBay, Audiogon) you could abscond with one of their higher quality models for not much more. While I was waiting for my new $2,750 Clearaudio rig to arrive, my dealer gave me a Music Hall (MMF 2.1, I believe) as a loaner. It sounded great. Did it sound as good as the TT I ended up with? No. But, it did get me 80-90% there. By that I mean the sound quality was more than good enough to make you say "ahhhhhh....THAT'S what the fuss about vinyl sound is all about." OK Linn boys, let me have it.

Regards,

Chris

Try to find a used Music Hall MMF-7 or just up the anti and buy one new for $800 from Wally. I for the darned of me can't find the URL but I'm sure Kelly can fill that in. I have one and I am pleased with it. I'm a cheap skate so I thinks its a little on the steep side price wise but everything in this hobby that isn't vintage is over priced if you ask me.

Craig

Here's the threads that dealt with this Turn Table and yes wally corrected the problems Chris and I had with the cartridges.

This stupid forum the links won't work for some reason !! Just do a search in 2 channel for MMF-7 its about 3 months old they will both come up.