What's old McIntosh worth?

Soundthought

Hello all,

I'm looking for some opinions on this vintage set-up.

McIntosh- C28 pre-amp, MC2100 amp, MQ101 EQ, MR77 tuner, and ML1C speakers.

All in mint condition, with Walnut cases and Oiled Walnut veneer on the speakers.

What's a package like this worth?

Not "blue book" value, but more like from a collectors standpoint.

Thanks,

John.

Hopefully, someone knowledgable in appraising audio equipment will give you a great ballpark figure...all mint vintage Mac gear hold their resale value. See if http://www.audioclassics.com/ can possibly help you out if no one has any idea; then again, they'd probably offer you the "blue book" value, and turn around and sell 'em triple what they gave you.

That's serious collector's merchandise...if I recall, I've seen the C-28 sell on eBay for as much as $750, the MC2100 for about $700 (chrome like new, no rust or pitting), the MQ101 up to $450, the MR77 for over $900, and the ML1C for up to $1100 for the pair. I'm probably way off, but these are bids/Buy Now asking prices I've seen for this equipment! This figures comes to $3900, but I personally think you can do much better than this.

I wish I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth...I'd offer you $6000 for the whole lot (if I had it). As good as the ML1Cs are, I'd use them for a second system...they can't touch my Cornwalls! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the insight, Jim.

Unfortunately, the set wasn't mine to sell.

I was just looking at it.

$6000?6.gif

After hearing the set-up, I can understand where your coming from.

One Word......Sweet!

I understand that many have said, "once you go Mac, you'll never go back".

I can see that.2.gif

All I can say is,

Roger Russell is the man!

Cheers and happy new year.

John.

I think I found a pretty good deal. I'm just about to purchase a C28, MC2100, and a MR77 for $500. It's an older guy who bought this equipment new in 1971. He told me that with his turntable and speakers included, the whole system cost $8700, as much as a new Caddy in 1971! I thought that was pretty cool. He's had it all these years and is finally upgrading his system. He's very sentimental about the system and wants to see somebody get it and enjoy it like he has. I certainly will like having the MR77, and I'll probably have another use for the amp and pre in another system. Can't have too many systems in the house!

I would say the C28 is realistically worth about $450 unless you have the wood case, manual, original receipt, and it's MINT, then as much as $700. The MC2100 is a great amp, durable, powerful, simple; worth about $500, maybe $600 in MINT. The MR77 is still a sought after piece by collectors, although the MR78 is more so. I'd say worth about $650, or $800 MINT. All of these pieces are readily available now, but may be more valuable in the future, who knows? Hope this info helps. Greg

John, Roger Russell is indeed the man! When I had my MC7200, he helped me out tremendously in obtaining literature/reviews on the amp; he even owns a MC7200 and answered all my questions concerning the the maintenance of the amp. His website is indispensible for Mac-heads!

Greg, your quotes are probably more reasonable...eBay is not always the best reference to go by. $500 is a steal for that Mac equipment...you'd be crazy not to jump on that deal, especially since you know the owner and the condition of the components.

All I know is that my MC250 is a perfect match for my Cornwalls. It was the best matchup of components I ever made! Happy New Year to everyone.

Yea, I did jump on that deal. I didn't know the guy when I saw the equipment for sale on line, but after emailing and talking to him on the phone I felt comfortable with the equipment. He says the C28 is blowing 1 amp fuses, so the stuff's not perfect, will need a little work. But all in all . . .!!

I would say on the value of the equipment listed above, that a dealer like Audio Classics can command more for the equipment than an individual. My estimates on value are really for an individual and what they can reasonably expect to get on the open market right now.

Greg

Thanks Guys.

Been doing my own homework.2.gif

Learned more about Mac in 24 hours, then I thought possible.

The pieces in question all have their own cool little story.

Most all of which is good.

*Intresting to note about this set up;

Roger Russell specifically designed the C28, MQ101 along with the ML line of speakers to perform flat down to an impressive 20Hz.

The M77 tuner is 2nd best next to the M78.

Plus, there is many mods available for it.

The best one enables a full overhaul for $600.

It's steep, but they do everything.

I think i'm having a Mac attack, and i'm not talking Big Mac, either.9.gif

Cheers,

John.

No kidding, you had a set of these.

Pretty heavy, huh?

Yeah, the dry rot of the foam surrounds was a concern of mine.

Check it out though, Audio Classic had replaced both woofers last year.

They look and feel damn near brand new.

Impressive speakers, if I do say so myself.

I would like to see the ML-2Cs.

Dual twelves all day.

Ummmmmmmm.

Double tasty.9.gif

I'm telling ya.

These things are little chunks.

For a speaker that small to weigh that much......

It kills me.

They are very much like my old 65 Stevens-Trusonic.

About the same size and build.

Different driver array, though.

And about 25lbs lighter. LOL

Yep....

They just don't build 'em, like they used to.

It'd cost too much, you see.....2.gif

Cheers,

John.

John made an accurate statement...

"Yep....

They just don't build 'em, like they used to".

Damn...why is that, really? 8.gif

Does it cost that much, like John said, to build top quality components these days? In these politically correct days when consumers fear of getting ripped off by today's mass-marketed/produced manufacturers (who's employees are now from some 3rd world nation making $1.20 a day and have no health insurance), where's the quality and pride in craftsmanship anymore? Has corporate greed completely taken over (hello...Enron), and do these manufacturers really not care that their products won't last into next week?

I look at my MC250 and my Cornwalls...there's attention to every minute detail in the construction and final assembly of these and many other similar components of their generation (and before)...their fit and finish, the solid materials used to construct them, etc. This is only part of the reason why these components still perform as they did 20 or 30 years ago, and why they still command alot of respect to the audiophile today (along with great demand for them and their high resale value). Manufacturers cared about their products, and about customer satisfaction and pride in ownership...it's what committed them to continue to build quality merchandise. There are a few corporations that still care today, but not like in the day.

Why did that have to change?

Enjoy those classic Macs and Klipsch (and others) while you still can.