Confused on Power Conditioning

rowooo

I just recently sold my Adcom ac enhancer that has been in my system since 95. The only reason I sold it is because as I upgrade a few of my components the older Adcom didn't have enough 3-prong outlets. After reading a lot of information from all fronts I'm confused as heck. Plug my equipment right into the wall, use a power conditioner, just get a power-surge strip? Obviously I want what sounds the best and I will be doing some tests here shortly with my sytem with everything pluged directly into the wall. I have heard where people have taken out a ac enhancer-conditioner and couldn't believe how much better it sounded with out it in there so who knows. I'm currently looking at the Chang Lightspeed 3200. I've checked out quite a few of the two-channel forum members systems but most don't mention the use of a conditioner. I would like to know what some of your thoughts our on this dilemna. Thanks..........................

Well in my case power conditioners do help.First of removed buzz in the subs,second the TV picture has improved(nothing major),can be seen if you compare with and without.

I use two Chang Lightspeed CLS 6400 MKII,and three PS Audio 20AMP AC cleaners.

I will not say it cleans everything up and makes the soundstage tighter.LOL Like some audiophile clowns who hear even when you use a "CD disk clarifier" ,I dont use magic stones or imaging "beaks" on top of my speakers.

I have the perfect tweak for all who claim some small stones placed on the amp will help.STICK A FORK IN THEM 1.gif

Oh yes the power conditioner dilema.Well try with and without.If you notice(hear or see) then go for it.If you dont see or hear any improvement.Ditch the idea and just get a quality Panamax or Monster surge protection.

If I have learned one thing over the years it's that power conditioners KILL amplifiers--they rob them of dynamics plain and simple.

I use a PS Audio Power Plant for all of my front end stuff and preamp. I bought it because of the CRAPPY power in my old neighborhood. I put a volt meter on the incoming AC and it varied from 102 to 117 volts over a 24 hour period.This was really screwing up my CD player-- it would hum like a banshee when the power dropped below 112 volts.

The Power Plant cured that problem, but it also provided a perfect 117 volt 60hz signal to my turntable which made it run DEAD ON all of the time. The Power Plant also lowered the noise floor in my system A LOT. I plug my preamp, CD Player and turntable into it and I have to tell you even at $900 it was a hell of a deal.

I was so impressed with the Power Plant I dropped a bundle on one of their "Ulitmate Outlets" for my amps. This was not worth the $300 in my opinion. It did nothing to hurt the amps, but I can't say for sure it made any noticeble imporvements either.

there are alot of quality power conditioners out there that will improve the performance of any amplifier....like everything else...there is quality and there is crap...alot of the cheap "power conditioners" have circuits that do restrict current...

if the conditioner is rated for 15 amps and does deliver 15 amps, how can it affect an amplifier???...the problem is that the cheaper conditioners out there do not allow the full 15 amps through theie circuits...

stay with a good name and remember...you get what you pay for....

do a search on this forum, home theatre forum, and the avs forum and you will discover a ton of information about this subject...

russ

www.surgex.com

I am right with Allan here 100%. In all the years I have been messing with amplifiers, both tube and solid state (as you might have deduced, I find amplifiers more interesting than speakers), I have never found a power supply filtering box that did not degrade amplifier performance somewhat.

To the average listener, there might be almost no difference so the peformance loss would be moot. But whether it is the 2A3 Monoblocks coming in at 3.5w per channel, or 200W solid state Monoblocks, power conditioners of almost any variety tend to restrict the dynamics ever so slightly, contrain air and bloom to a degree, and give the presentation an ever so slight less relaxed nature.

This can really be heard on my 2A3 Moondogs where I have tried a variety of conditioning devices, none of which didnt slightly harm the sound, although some were better than others. Plugging your amps into the "high current amp" outlet does little to remedy.

If using one of the conditioners such as the ever popular Monster 2500 series, I would only plug my source components. I found that even with my Cary preamp, the sound was compromised somewhat although this to a far more subtle degree compared to the amps. I generally try to plug my amps into their own outlets with nothing else to draw.

IF you ever have the chance to put dedicated circuits to your gear, do so as this makes a nice difference. Putting a 20amp line to your components (with perhaps one dedicated to your just your sources too) removes all the other crap/interference from your audio circuit.

While some conditioners do well, I have actually found them only usable on my sources or preamp. The last time I brought this up, I met heavy resistance as many of you DID have you entire systems on various conditions/filters. This is just my experience over the years - the last time I tried was actually last year.

kh

Well, after a day of listening to only C.D.s it's obvious that the Adcom conditioner did decrease haze-hiss and create a blacker background. This was something I could immediately notice. As for the overall music or dynamics I could not tell a difference. So I will probably go with a Chang conditioner as I would gladly give up just a tad of dynamics for a blacker background with less hiss/haze. Plus cosmetically it looks a lot nicer with our your lines running to a seperate place with protection an added bonus. Thanks.......

You are right in that 90% of all good supply conditioners DO end up creating a blacker background. And that is a welcome thing, indeed. On the other hand, when running SET amps, you notice a slight compression and restriction in both the air and almost ubber "you-are-there" type quality. The amps just dont BREATHE and sound as unfettered. This subtle increase in other areas does not offset this aspect to me. With SS power house amps, there is a flattening of the image and more compression again. Still, some would trade this. But to me, it almost takes on the difference between tube air and solid state. I just cant live with the compromise, even when given FREE samples to have. I have returned every one except for use on source components. Here IS an advantage, especially to get the digital hash on its own circuit/line separate from the other gear.

kh

The car audio guys are fighting a different battle of BATTERY POWER and needing MORE. Actually, battery power in the house on good audio gear results in a MAJOR increase in quality of playback besides the juice problem that can rear its head or the recharging problem. IF you have a quality portable CD player, try getting some really quality batteries and running it on your system. Notice the better sound immediately as the power line grunge is gone. This brought about a GREAT surge years ago when the Radio Shack portable got insane reviews for sonics while under battery power. Indeed, it was such a hit, that several companies developed battery platforms around this player, only to see it discontinued months later.

Also, see the new Welborne Ultrapath preamp that is battery powered.

kh