Eico HF-87

tpg

I would like to hear some opinions on these. I have found schematics for one of these, and it doesn't look all too hard to make. I am considering building one to satisfy my crave for tubes. It has to be better sounding than that $150 four 11MS8 tube kit from S-5. Does anyone have one? Ever listen to one? Thoughts, concerns, etc? Thanks.

EDIT: If important, it will drive some KG-2.5's until I can convince a friend's dad that he NEEDS to sell me his closeted Heresy's tat get NO use at all.

----------------

On 1/6/2003 9:03:23 PM NOS440 wrote:

The transformers alone will cost you $400 new. Craig

----------------

!!!

WOW! I hadn't seen it being that much. I have found most of the parts, actually. All the tubes, which range from $6.95-$39.95 each/matched pair, I think. The resistors/caps are simple to find at Parts Express, and they are cheap too. The transformers are expensive, though... the output trans. I was told would work were Hammond 1650P, I think, and were something like $82 a piece. The power trans. I am not sure about yet- someone is working with a power supply design using a tube instead of the stanadard one. I haven't found a transformer for the power supply yet, as I am told I will need at least 500V, and can only find a Hammond in 450V. Anywhere in particular I should look? Am I in over my head?

Hammond should have one that will do the trick I would think its not just the 500V its the total current draw or MA rating the amp will require. I personally thing you would be farther ahead and end up with better Iron if you just bought a vintage used amps and rebuilt them. Those Hammond will not equal the vintage iron by a long shot. Maybe after years of seasoning they might. I have a theory that what makes Vintage amps sound so sweet is the seasoning of the transformers. I have no solid data to back that up but its a theory I think makes sense.

Its just like a seasoned Big Block Chevy cylinder block is almost bullet proof becuase of its age and going thru years of heat up and cool down the metal settles into its permanent state.

Craig

Costwise, restoring a vintage amp would be the way to go,

IMO.

Then you would just have buy certain parts, no chassis or trannies to buy.

And the transformers are "pre-seasoned".

The parts sourcing will add up quick.

Unless you can find a local source for parts cheap.

Hit a thrift store for a console amp, I've snagged a couple. It's a quick and cost-effective start over sourcing parts and breadboarding a scratch amp.

Unless this is something you want to do.

I do.

Listen to Craig. What he says is one of the reasons that vintage transformers sound good, they have been conditioned. I also think we had higher grade iron back then. (But that is another story that involves mining and railroading forums).

Also by rebuilding a vintage amp or using vintage parts you are RECYCLING! Save the earth man. 1.gif

With something like the EICO HF-87, the absolute smartest route to go would be to pick up a used candidate in the neighborhood of $300 and get it working up to spec. Equaling the iron in these old amps is an extremely expensive undertaking. Frankly, I think the modern iron just isnt the equal unless getting into the more pricey options.

You could rebuild a stock HF-87 with some quality oils, Kiwames, and good electrolytics/oils etc and come out with a amp far better than the Dynaco ST-70 or any of the mid-price tube options from ASL/Jolida etc. Opting for HEXFREDs in the SS rectification would help matters as well.

Still, if building an amp from scratch, I might opt for the tube rectified circuit. Dont forget about neat amps like the HF-86 as well. This is a sweet little amp. There are a number of great Mullard circuits too. The Mullard Circuit tube book is an excellnt source of options; Jean-Francois was just talking about how great that was the other day.

Also, do some reading here and see where you come out:

Welcome to JE Labs!

kh