development history of k-horn x-overs...anyone understand the changes?

sunnysal

from the type A to the type AK-3 there seems to have been many changes in the x-over design. soem where to protect drivers from burning up and to take into account the changes in drviers over the years but, I assume, some where made to improve the sound of the k-horns. anyone have insight into why an AK-3 is NOT better that a old type A? thanks, tony

I have looked at what is available from PWK. He never said that the more complicated production designs sound better. His comments indicate that he like the sound of the simple A, over his earlier prototypes which might have had steeper slopes.

There has been a redesign of the crossover for the most recent production, whenever it gets here. Bob G. has said it is "transformed". So perhaps the 2003 model will use a more complicated crossover with better results over what has gone before.

Gil

thanks gil. lets hope someone posts a schematic of the new x-over soon (even a photo would be nice!). I wonder if a type A is installed in a "new" k-horn (vintage 1993 with the newer drivers than were around when the type As were being installed) should it be modified in some way? values of caps, etc.? anyway just curious as to how the model evolution was percieved, why klipsch changed designs when they did and what they achieved with each change. my assumption was that they would not have added cost and complexity to a x-over unless they had expected a real benefit, you know? the type A must be cheaper and easier to produce than an AK-3 no? regards, tony

From the information I have read from the "Dope from Hope" newsletters is that the "Newer" crossovers were designed when high power solid state amps (100+ watts per channel) started to hit the consumer market and the squaker and tweeter drivers started to fry. Before high power solid state amps came out PWK had a "lifetime warranty" on the drivers. After the problem started to appear, he developed X-overs to protect the drivers and dropped the lifetime warranty.

I along with you would like to see something from someone in the know about the X-overs and drivers they can/should work on.

I understand that the '03 k-horn models have all of the X-over inside the woofer enclosure and just a terminal strip on the high-freq cabinet for connections to the drivers.

Does anyone know if there is any significant difference between the AK-2 and AK-3 X-overs as far as sound is concerned?, and if there is a sonic difference between the AK-3 and the newer '03 X-over?

Hi Guys,

For obvious reasons, I am quite interested in what the new xover design is like. The change in crossover frequency is the tipoff to me that something major has been done. Either the new k55x squawker driver has limited response or a genuine squawker filter has been addad. I am inclined to think it's the later. I want to see the schematic on the new "-4" networks as soon as somebody can draw a diagram of one.

Al K.