Amping Question

Moving Craig's site as of RIGHT now. Comcast is a TOTAL mess. The sig pic will move and no more delay, at least compared to his old server. It is actually the worst server I have ever dealt with and it's a MAJOR one! Crazy.

The security alert is because his server space is actually a SECURE space and his site name does not match the certificate for the server! So it gets that certificate warning. It is nothing but a pain and clerical error.

My apologies. Cant get up with Craig but he will change it soon.

kh

Good job, Nate!

You've made some good decisions about your audio gear, and are being careful abou how you're spending what you can for equipment. I also agree that tubes sound very good with Klipsch speakers (I use 2A3 monoblock amps, that are all but 3.5 watts powerful). With my La Scalas and Lowther horns, even that is much, much more than I ever use. My wife likes heavy metal (as I do on occasion), and has lately been listening to the recent Audio Slave CD -- which is a great CD!

Not knowing your listening habits, it's just a little hard to get an idea of what would be best for you. There are certainly very, very good amplifiers in your price range, but likely mostly transistor (aka Solid State or 'SS'), There are a few tube amp offerings, though. You might look at the Decware 'Zen' (www.decware.com) or some of the very good Jolida products (do a search on that). Also, Creek (out of England, and very much available here) has some good stuff, as well. Although I would suggest tubes with high efficiency Klipsch speakers (I don't know the sensitivity of yours), there are some transistor amplifiers that can sound really, really good! Tube technology is considered 'antique' by many, but pick up any recent audio magazine, and you will find TONS of companies putting out tube-based preamps and amps. They sound incredibly good. Nate: I had what I thought to be a very good Sony (ES line) integrated amp, and absolutely could not believe what an improvement the 2A3 monoblocks were over the Sony. Rich, full, detailed, very, very real-sounding.

Please also look at the outstanding products of Antique Sound Labs. They have tube amplifiers that could sell for much, much more than they do. I'll go find the URL for you and post it here.

Good luck,

Erik