Amping Question

I have recently purchased a pair or Klipsch RF-3II loudspeakers and I am considering upgrading from my NAD stereo power amp to monoblocks. I have my eye on the Marantz MA6100 Monoblocks. They retail for about 300 apeice. Any recommendations regarding this matter? Or any suggestions for other monoblocks in the price range? Remember, I'm only 16, so price IS an object.

Thanks,

Nate

I've never heard the amps, but they look rather high powered for your sensitive Klipsch speakers. In reality you don't need more than 10 Watts of power. Also, not all transistor amps do well at the low powers that Klipsch speakers use. A few people who frequent this site have found some ss amps that might work. Also, it looks like your application is home theater which poses some interesting problems for many who frequent this site because of our 2-channel focus. The result of an inappropriate ss amp is usually a very harsh sound, so you want either a reliable recomendation or personal audition. Good luck.

leok

Hi 16:

Congrats on the RF3 purchase. you made a good choice. Monoblocks aren't really a necessity, plus you pay a premium for having 2 chassis, power supplies, etc. You could take your $600 and look for a stereo amp. Leok is right about not needing a lot of power. While 10 watts tube is enough to drive the RF3, 10 watts solid-state will be pretty anemic (given your budget constraints not allowing for purchase of a $$$$ SE solid state which can do the job).

You might need a bit more power considering dual application. If you stick with s-s, get about 30-50 watt amp, but no more. If you can find a tube amp- look for something in the 15-30 watt range (EL84, EL 34 based). You may want to look at some used gear on Audiogon. Antique Sound Labs (ASL) makes some decent budget tube that will fit in your budget.

Most here will agree that the Klipsch gear tends to sound better with tubes, so I'd make an effort to look at them before deciding to purchase.

Feel free to drop an email if you like further recommendations.

Good Luck!

Mike

I concur. As nice as Marantz units are with Klipschs horns, even a budding audiophile does not particularly need these units. I think that unless you are really playing your loudspeakers loudly or in a huge room, or play bass heavy techno, you will probably find this to be a sideways move. Besides, many people believe that unless a quality amplifier is clipping (which is something they actually do quite a bit, then quality amplifiers can all sound quite similar). Besides NAD is known for value and Marantz is known for quality (at a higher price point).

Nothing wrong with running your video signal through your stereo. In fact, what I think you are missing is a subwoofer, for both movies and music. Unfortunately because of the high output of the Klipsch loudspeakers, you need a more powerful sub than you might originally think. The good news though, is that for about $500 used, you can get some very powerful old (and large) performing subs.

2.gif

For about $300, you could get a nice vintage reworked tube piece from Craig (NOS440) ... It would sound a whole lot finer than the NAD and you could run your TV through an AUX input. With the money you save, you could cruise Ebay and pick up a nice used sub, although you might want to give the new gear a thorough listening to before adding the s/w ... It can actually degrade the sound a bit, and a properly set-up 2-channel system (esp. positioning in the room) should have plenty of bass guts to it.

And then there's always the "emergency" loudness button.

Ooops, did I say that???

Thanks guys, for all of the suggestions...and you seem to have convinced me that monos arent really necessary (considering that there are 2 chassis, and you pay for more material overall) and also that a tube amp is the path to take for Klipsch speakers.

Thanks also for the sub suggestions, but i dont believe that is necessary...my listening room is a mere 13 by 11 feet (with long wall speaker placement), so the RF3II's fill the room with bass perfectly...for my taste anyway.

and on occasion i do like to turn it up pretty good, so i dont want to lose any impact...

keep the suggestions coming! and although the marantz i was considering were 300 apiece, that isnt my strict budget, i would like to keep it under 1000 though, for a stereo amp. keep the tube suggestions coming!

thanks a lot!

nate

Man for a grand you could pick up something sweet in a way of tubes on ebay all day long. Go to ebay type in tube amps. then I suggest surfing the net via Google on your finds and do your home work. Plenty of info on this forum and the net regarding your finds. When You eye something you like check in on the two channel and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feed back so you could make a educated decision on what you bid on. Happy hunting.

Tom

Instead of hunting for a tube amp (which is the road I would take though I don't know your speakers) on ebay I'd trust Craig and get a unit from him - it'll save you a lot of hassle and you know that the amp will be in great shape.

Wolfram

Instead of hunting for a tube amp (which is the road I would take though I don't know your speakers) on ebay I'd trust Craig and get a unit from him - it'll save you a lot of hassle and you know that the amp will be in great shape.

Wolfram