So little power, so much music!!

tigerwoodKhorns

I just got a rat shack SPL meter today and did some rough measuring.

I am running a Scott l-48 25 wpc amp. I was so worried about having enough power to drive my K-horns with a mere 25 watts. I now realize that this is more power than I will probably ever need.

My usual listening (comfortable) is about 85-90 db peaks (music about 3 lower). Really loud is 95-100 db at the listening position. Doing a rough measurement (about 1 meter away from the speaker ands registering 104 db, the published efficiency) the system was really really loud. Definately more than I would listen to normally. If this is "roughly" 1 watt, it fills a big room very well (14' wide x 29' deep with a 2 story ceiling and opening into other rooms).

Bottom line, I now understand how a 3 wpc SET amp can have plenty of power.

Jeff, sorry about all of the questions before I bought the amp. In my defense, I did try to buy a meter sooner.

Chris

Klipsch magic. Gotta love it!

I hooked up my 35 watt NAD 304 for one last hurahh before I shipped it out. It was the the only time I had it on the KM-6s. I only took the volume knob to 12 o'clock and was at well over 100db. I also took a reading with the Onkyo receiver at 75% volume after I got the speakers. 116db!6.gif Brain damage level.6.gif

OOhhhhhhh... so YOURE the one with the NAD trade to ole NOS Valves! heh... I was wondering who it was. I used to buy that same system for loons looking for a great bang for buck starter sound. Next thing I know, the 502 displays are walking away within two years! heh... Great bang for the buck for SS and better than most of that ilk. Of course, no contest with great tube amps but...some dont want that route.

kh

----------------

On 1/12/2003 12:58:53 AM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

Jeff, sorry about all of the questions before I bought the amp. In my defense, I did try to buy a meter sooner.

Chris----------------

Chris,

You must have been reading my mind...I was going to e-mail and ask you to post your thoughts on this Forum with your experience with your Scott LK-48 as there seems to be a flood of people buying vintage tube amps as of late.

I think your review would definately be helpful for someone bordering on the decision to purchase tubes-either Vintage or of the new variety.

Jeff

PS:Craig is sending me that repair estimate so hopefully we'll hear from UPS very soon.